General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ScrewDriver Key

Old 11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot
Default ScrewDriver Key

i did not write this tutorial, i found it on honda tech and liked it so much, i thought i would share it.. i have quoted it by the original poster.. all credits to him.. posted here because i cant post in the DIY..

Originally Posted by akire45
Diy: How To Make Your Own Jdm Car Key

Here's what you need
  • 1 small screwdriver (you can get them at ACE hardware)
  • 1 car key (preferably a duplicate with a plastic head, you will throw that head away anyway.)
  • 1 gas stove
  • 2 pairs of pliers (you will be using this the whole time.)

Use the pliers to hold the screwdriver up the stove, in my case i just decided to hold it bare handed since i did not want to scratch the screw driver handle.

How would know if you were doing the right thing? Just until the screwdriver glows a faint red, you will notice the handle to smoke quite a bit (careful! it is quite hot too.)

Once it smokes a little get the pliers and grab the screwdriver bit and pull it out. Don't worry you will be able to pull it out.

Here it is removed.

Next up is the car key, since we are using the duplicate, no need to worry about destroying your original car key.

You can do this like how we pulled the driver bit off but i decided to just burn the plastic key head off since it will be worthless after the DIY. Make sure you hold the key's metal part using your pliers.

After all the plastic have burned off and melted try to remove the burnt plastic using a second set of pliers. make sure you strip it clean.

Here comes the tricky part.

Since we now have the handle and the key separated already, we need to merge the 2.

Since you still have the key held by the pliers heat it again on the stove a little bit longer until it reaches the faint red glow.

When it gets red hot, get the screwdriver handle and merge it with the key, make you have it centered and gently place it in, once you have it centered. Run it over cold running water for it to cool down.

When i saw this i needed to have it done... I think its funny as hell.. it looks like you are trying to steal your own car but you have a key haha.. Enjoy guys...

Old 11-17-2009, 02:22 PM
HCF Member

haha thats cool , i want one now

Old 11-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

i know right... i was thinking of somehow forming one in a switchblade knife too, just press a button and the key comes out.. something like vdubs

Old 11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by supersize
i know right... i was thinking of somehow forming one in a switchblade knife too, just press a button and the key comes out.. something like vdubs
you do know you can just buy a switch blade honda key right? they are all over ebay. buy a blank and take it to your hardware store and have them cut it.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:52 PM
HCF Member

haha thats pretty cool. i would have never thought of doin that

Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

i diddnt know they sold the switchblade ones, but yeah, the screwdriver key looks siiiick, funny if a cop pulls you over.. be like here lemme pull the driver.. i mean key haha

Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM
HCF Member

i really might do this just for the fun of it

Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 AM
HCF Member

thats nice but ill go get a copy of my keys dont wanna use my original keys heheh

Old 11-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

well it says to use a spare key haha i wouldnt use my OG one anyhow