General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Should I Get this EG Hatch or No?

Old 07-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Default Should I Get this EG Hatch or No?

Ok it's a 95 EG Hatch with fresh paint, no dents, pretty good condition in/out. Has AEM intake, Spoon lightweight racing wheels with pretty new tires, not sure what type of exhaust or if it has headers ect...It has a H22 motor swap (Has 80k on it), which is the 2.2L 200HP V-Tec Engine. The car itself has 125k miles. I know the motor in it is fast and the prelude motor in a civic hatch can really have a good power : weight ratio...

Old 07-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Default RE: Should I Get this EG Hatch or No?

whats he wanting for it? the car looks sharp and if the motor is in good condition you should be more than satisfied! alot of torque though, you'll have to get used to the torque to the front wheels...

Old 07-03-2007, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: civics4lyfe

whats he wanting for it? the car looks sharp and if the motor is in good condition you should be more than satisfied! alot of torque though, you'll have to get used to the torque to the front wheels...

He wants about 3 grand...kbb says its worth like 2500 but with the swap and the wheels and everything I think it's a decent deal...and yea the torque will be crazy in that but there must be some way I can gear it or change something to take the torque and make it have better mid range power. Either way it will be quick. But I really have no way to tell if the motor is in good shape you know? Any tips anyone?

Old 07-03-2007, 11:52 AM

Check the cyl. pressure, for leaks, drive it and don't be scared to get in it, you need to know if that tranny is in good condition, shift at different RPMs to test the synchros... If everything is checks out and even if it don't you can't beat a h22 swap in a hatch for 3gs.....

Old 07-03-2007, 11:57 AM

Well I don't know how I will check the cyl. for pressure or how I will check for any small leaks because I am not an expert for one and I don't know if the guy is gonna let me take the thing to a shop ya know? I'll be able to drive it and yea I planned on shifting at low rpm's and at high ones just to see how it is...and even if the motor isn't in the best condition I could have it rebuilt for fairly cheap right? I've never driven a hatch before so if you could give me some tips on how to tell if the tranny/motor is good while driving it let me know any will be appreciated...

And now I'm thinking, will the H22 be too heavy? I heard that they could bend some **** in there because it's so heavy, and would it make my handling ****ty? I'm not going to be autoxing I don't think but I will be racing on some curvey roads...

Old 07-03-2007, 12:17 PM

I have never drove a h22 hatch, however I have heard that it does decrease the handling if you stick with stock suspension.... if your going to be driving on curvy roads you might want to invest in a good suspension for it... you can get a pressure tester from any local autoparts store or tool wholesale place.. And as for leaks, take it for a long test drive, atleast 10-15 minutes... park it and leave the car running, then check under it for leak spots after about 5-10 minutes... make sure to give the tranny hell so if it does leak when you launch it you'll know... also check for abnormal oil burn... let it warm up and check the oil then drive it and check it when you get back...

Old 07-03-2007, 12:24 PM

I have never drove a h22 hatch, however I have heard that it does decrease the handling if you stick with stock suspension.... if your going to be driving on curvy roads you might want to invest in a good suspension for it... you can get a pressure tester from any local autoparts store or tool wholesale place.. And as for leaks, take it for a long test drive, atleast 10-15 minutes... park it and leave the car running, then check under it for leak spots after about 5-10 minutes... make sure to give the tranny hell so if it does leak when you launch it you'll know... also check for abnormal oil burn... let it warm up and check the oil then drive it and check it when you get back...

Thanks for the tips man your really actually helping my decision. But I just did some research and this guy who owns his own shop has a H22 hatch and he made a thread with the pictures of the weight difference. The H22 is only 50 lbs heavier than a B-Series including the tranny and that is including the fluids in the assembled engine... Ofcoarse any other aftermarket parts like clutch, flywheel and other **** can add or take away a few pounds but still I don't see 50 lbs making any durastic handling changes...and after a bit I can get some better suspension and struts and ****...

Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 PM

Sweet.. Well glad I could help out a little... I wish you luck if you get it, and when you run it make sure to record it!!! I want to see what it'll do!

Old 07-03-2007, 01:09 PM

Sweet.. Well glad I could help out a little... I wish you luck if you get it, and when you run it make sure to record it!!! I want to see what it'll do!

Yea thanks a lot. I've been reading this like 10 page long thread all about H22 swaps into the EG and EK's and the guys who actually have them and have tested say its about 50lbs heavier than a B16A2 but has a lot more power. They said if your really worried about the handling you can get slightly stiffer springs...no one said anything about the weight of the H22 bending EG chasis like I saw one kid saying though...probably just some retard saying that. Anyways yea when/if I get this probably in the next couple weeks I'll take some videos for sure.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:26 PM

Well I would like to vouch for the B16A2s, I have one in my EG right now.. And I beat a H22 EG hatch... Now I can't say its because the b16 is faster or anything like that, the could may just not have known how to drive a FWD car with that much torque, or the motor may have been in bad shape... It don't matter really if you do D/B/H/K series it depends on your tuning and the driver really... I watched a d15b2 with a small turbo beat a b18c1 turbo in the 1/4 (10.21) vs (10.83)... so it just depends on if its done right...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I Get this EG Hatch or No?