General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

should i powder coat or just paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:52 AM
HCF Member
Default should i powder coat or just paint?

so i got some hx rims, and i wanted to know if i should have them powder coated or should i spray paint them. The color is going to be gunmetal (im dont know if i want to do a polished lip or not) has any1 powder coated their wheels. How much did you pay for each wheel, and how is the paint standing up.

Name:  hx.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  55.7 KB

thats the condition they are in. minor curb rash

Old 03-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

powder coat would be stonger but i seen painted wheels last a long time with good prep

Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

Powder coat

Old 03-10-2010, 05:09 PM
June 2010 ROTM

I powder coated mine. It was 300-350? I can't remember. That was will a chemical dip too. Just add up the cost of spray paint primer, color and clear. Let's say $5 a can. 1 can primer per wheel, 2 cans of clear per wheel, and 2-3 cans of clear per wheel. Conservatively, that's $120 just for paint.

Don't forget all the prep that's needed, i.e. paint stripping and sanding. I've heard that you have to redo rattle can wheel jobs after 2-3 years. So, if you plan on keeping the wheels for a while powder coat 'em.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:19 PM
March 2010 ROTM

I painted my wheels for $40. They still look the same today as they did almost a year ago. If you have good can control and prep correctly, they will last and look nice. But if you have the money, by all means get them powder coated. Much stronger.

Dan, that seems pretty high for a powder coat job on such small wheels. A shop near my said they would re-polish my lips, media blast the wheels, coat them, and clear them since I want a metallic color all for $315.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I painted my wheels last June, no clear. They definitely still look good... the biggest thing there is my mix of cheap pads, dragging calipers, and heavy braking (people in this state can't drive... no offense, plethoric). If it wasn't for the wheels' constant heavy coat of brake dust, I have no doubt they'd look as good as they did when I painted them. Also, it probably helps a little that I wax the wheels at least once a month

Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
June 2010 ROTM

I shopped around for a while and that was the best I could find for quality work. I found some that were cheaper but they just seemed sketchy.

Just my 2 cents, you do not want to even media blast an alloy wheel. Chemical dips are safer and don't remove wheel material.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:28 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
I painted my wheels last June, no clear. They definitely still look good... the biggest thing there is my mix of cheap pads, dragging calipers, and heavy braking (people in this state can't drive... no offense, plethoric). If it wasn't for the wheels' constant heavy coat of brake dust, I have no doubt they'd look as good as they did when I painted them. Also, it probably helps a little that I wax the wheels at least once a month
I forgot that was one of my main reasons for powder coating was the brake dust. I wanted my wheels to be white and I didn't want them to turn into grey after a day at the track.

But as reaper said, wax helps.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I think gunmetal would be all right as far as brake dust goes, though, especially if clear coat is involved. I think Dupli-Color actually makes a wheel-specific paint in gunmetal (as well as a clear coat for it)... I'd imagine it holds up a little better than the standard spray-paint I used

Old 03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

I dont really know what i would do, but as for spray bombs, like Reaper said, Go with either Dupli-color, or Plasti-Kote, i myself am partial to plasti-kote, but they both make awesome products.

Quick Reply: should i powder coat or just paint?