General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

SKUNK SHIFTER owners please look... whats a real stunk shifter look like?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default SKUNK SHIFTER owners please look... whats a real stunk shifter look like?

EDIT
is your skunk shifter have a built in washers or did you have to use washers between the linkage and the shifter?
im trying to see which shifter is REAL SKUNK and which one is RIP OFF skunk immitated..

OR does it look like this just FLAT SMOOTH ... and needs washers?

i just bought a new clutch linkage for my D16Z6 BUT i only need this one rod...
im curious how do you know if its a short shifter?

it looks like my skunk single bend shifter, but thiers no markings on it besides some electrical tape to hold the boot cover up of course, and also looks like someone had a cheap shift **** on it with a set screw that scratched a full circle around the rod about a inch below the threaded tip.
i have no idea if it is a short shifter or what, BUT ANYWAYS, my friends 94civic just has a stock shifter he told me.... he wants my skunk shifter but mainly from he name.LOL he even wants my old @ss sparco pedals that look like crap just cause of the name.LOL

quick picture of it

Old 12-24-2007, 11:31 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: quick question about a short shifter?

I think thats a stock shifter. Because my short shifter is more straight (ebay brand)

Old 12-24-2007, 11:38 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Doesn't look stock. Stock shifters are black IIRC.
If you compare it to a stock shifter, a short shifter will be LONGER between the ball and the bottom bolt.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:38 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Nope, that's a short shifter. The stock shifter is black and only has one bend
See pic:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=SHIFT+LEVER

It looks like a Skunk2, but is probably a off-brand look-a-like.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya now im not sure which one is the nicer shift ****... cause the one on my car had washers between the shifter and linkage rod... and the one i got in the mail has like built in washers and it had a rubber seals between the shifter and linkage...

also i couldnt tighten the shifter bolt because then it wouldnt move forward or backwards to shift.... so i had to loosen it up alittle bit...
is that normal?
think its alittle odd...
im not sure it maybe my shifter on the car is a rip off shifter with just a SKUNK **** on it... cause you think a name like SKUNK wouldnt need washers, but if i use this new shifter ill have to fill the groves/marks on the shifter and paint it before i slap it on the car.
heres a picture of this shifter, im just trying to see which is SUPOSED to be the beter of the 2 shift handles...
and since none of them have etched names on them and i didnt buy them new i have no idea which is the rip off and which one is genuie skunk2 single bend shifter.

heres the one on the car tho you cannt see the tip very well BUT its flat, which is why they had washers on them

hope you guys can tell me which one is the beter shift handle...

BUT anyways with the new good shift linkage and urethane bushings helped out HUGE!!!!!! its almost odd to shift now cause i got used to it before.
feels WAY TIGHTER and so much shorter shift points! this linkage was worn REALY BAD! id say cut down with half the slack, and then the urethane bushings cut it down another half way and its very nice tight shifting now... only thing is it might take awhile to get used to it being so tight. BUT THATS A GOOD THING!

and before ya look at the picture I DID NOT DO THIS...LOL previous owner/douche did this! that should be riveted firm, it was just bolted together...

urethane bushings all the way

Old 12-24-2007, 03:21 PM
HCF Member

is that hot glue you used?

Old 12-24-2007, 03:32 PM
June 2010 ROTM

nice, well, the "eBay" ss that I got needed washers so that it wouldn't wobble. I think they do that because a lot of Civic owners have swaps and such.

The way mine looks is: shift linkage, washer, washer, washer, shifter (ss), washer, washer, washer, shift linkage

[||| [] |||]

Old 12-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 95civic1.6l

is that hot glue you used?
LMFAO no but i do love to use hot glue... its the sticky @ss lubricant that comes with the urethane bushings.... just like thick clear grease...

Old 12-24-2007, 07:54 PM

I just slapped on the dual bend skunk2 short shifter and the same Energy Suspension bushings to my shift linkage tonight.
I'll take some pics for you:

STOCK:

SKUNK2:

Also, your skunk2 should show this on the shifter :P

sorry for the crappy pics...

here's my project thread for anyone whos interested:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_52.../tm.htm#527828

Old 12-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Obligatory

I just slapped on the dual bend skunk2 short shifter and the same Energy Suspension bushings to my shift linkage tonight.
I'll take some pics for you:

STOCK:

Also, your skunk2 should show this on the shifter :P

no thats good.... so i still might have a skunk shifter on the car... if that logo is hidden by the boot.. cause it did have a allen wrench bolt on the shifter, but i swaped it off and put on the regular bolt style that was on my new shifter linkage..
guess ill have to pull my shifter boot some time and look for the logo down low....
THANKS MAN! at least i know the one that came with the new linkage isnt a real skunk unit..

Quick Reply: SKUNK SHIFTER owners please look... whats a real stunk shifter look like?