General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

So can anyone give me some ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:15 PM
HCF Member
Default So can anyone give me some ideas?

Ok so on my 90 civic HB im doing the mpfi swap, within the next month. But my friend has an 89 crx that is DPFI that hes giving to me for cheap,...Can someone tell me some ways to make dpfi better, i know someone out there has done it. I just wanna know a way to make it faster. i wanna do a DPFI setup on the crx

Last edited by ed61990; 03-06-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
HCF Member

well...why not do the MPFI on the crx too?

its not that expensive

you can throw a Cold air intake on the DPFI, headers, exhaust..the gains aren't as much as with the MPFI, but they are still there.

or or or or

TURBO DPFI!

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/turbo_projects/d15b2/

Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

that would be a good idea, im just trying to squeze as much power out of a dpfi, and guess what? the previous owner before him was doing a build and it has the same setup as my civic...d16a6 with dpfi lol, so that will be better than the d15b2 ya know?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:26 PM
HCF Member

I found a superchip that hooks onto ur AIT (air intake temperature) sensor, and it can add up to 50 horses on ur car. then ill run an AEM intake on it, dc header, skunk2 intake manifold, apexi catback exhaust system, skunk2 cam gear, skunk2 throttle body, highflow cat, and maybe turbo it. u think that would be a good setup on the crx with a d16a6 dpfi?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ed61990
I found a superchip that hooks onto ur AIT (air intake temperature) sensor, and it can add up to 50 horses on ur car. then ill run an AEM intake on it, dc header, skunk2 intake manifold, apexi catback exhaust system, skunk2 cam gear, skunk2 throttle body, highflow cat, and maybe turbo it. u think that would be a good setup on the crx with a d16a6 dpfi?
don't buy that "superchip." it's a lie. it will likely even do damage to your engine over time.
Do not buy any chip unless you are buying it directly from a respectable tuning company. Chips on eBay are crap, don't buy one.

If you want to chip your ECU, buy an OBD1 non-VTEC chipped ECU from Phearable.net and an OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness.
P.S. Don't have them change the redline, that would be dumb, because if you take your stock internals engine past redline you are likely to have damage if you do it more than a few times.

The cam gear is a waste of money, it's pointless. It's point is so you can physically adjust the timing, but really a tuner can do that electronically and you don't even need it unless you have some serious modifications. Save that money for something else.

For the intake manifold and throttle body, I'd look into a stock D16Y8 intake manifold and a stock B18 throttle body (for manual transmission, assuming you have a manual), and get the intake manifold bored out to the size of the throttle body. Look into getting the intake manifold ported and polished.
Aftermarket throttle bodies are unnecessary, because bigger isn't always better. There is a limit to how big you should go, and 63mm or something like that is more optimal than the Skunk2's 70mm. The D16Y8 intake manifold is the best OEM D-series manifold and should be great once it is ported and polished. Also, you'll be saving quite a bit of cash.

If you're going to turbo it, buying a header and an intake is a complete waste of money, because turbo parts replace those parts. Decide what you want to do. You don't seem to know very much about your car yet (take no offense), so I am going to highly recommend against turbocharging it.

P.S. I respect you for the fact that you want to buy quality products and that you want a high flow cat instead of a test pipe. That's a good thing.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
don't buy that "superchip." it's a lie. it will likely even do damage to your engine over time.
Do not buy any chip unless you are buying it directly from a respectable tuning company. Chips on eBay are crap, don't buy one.
W3rd! I saw one for $12 and said 'What the Hell..." It showed up in a plain letter-sized envelope and had a xerox'd 'instruction manual' with it. 'It' is basically a 4200-ish Ohm resistor that you jam into the ends of the AIT plug and secure with electrical tape. Yeah...

Again, said "What the Hell..." and 'installed' it. No changes. Changed up the install (reversed polarity - since the 'manual' didn't specify) - nada. Ran it without the AIT plugged in with only the 'chip' "installed." Nothing. Pulled it out altogether, plugged the AIT back in, and the car ran like normal... just like it did with the 'chip' "installed."

The intent is for the 'chip' to fool the ECU into thinking the intake air temperature is only 55 degrees F - which, think about it, does the car feel like it has 50+ more horsepower when you start it on a cold morning? Didn't think so. Don't waste your time or money on eBay Snake-Oil.

My '95 VX has the original VTEC-E engine (196,000+ miles and still running like a champ getting 38 mpg/city) and is quite anemic at probably less than the factory 92 bhp. The single best thing that's helped with that engine is building a CAI from parts found at a Spectre Performance display at a local auto parts house (O'reilly Auto Parts). The cone filter, adapter, and 6" tube placed on the end of the stock rubber air horn woke up the engine and it runs a ton better now - even sounds meaner when I mat the pedal. Still quite anemic compared to my other cars, but it's a lot better than it was. Total cost: $42.00 - "Priceless" when you consider that nobody makes VTEC-E hop-up parts.

I would recommend header, exhaust, intake, and CAI to begin with - letting the engine breathe will beyour biggest gains. And have realistic expectations: you're not going to build a street/strip dominator out of these little econo-boxes without spending 20x more than the cars are worth.

Last edited by Type RB; 03-08-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
HCF Member

Yeah thats what i was wondering is if they have heard of those chips, ive never heard of them before then i came across them and was like huh i wonder if its worth the money? lol, but thank you for saving me from a risk of messing up my engine. But yeah no offense taken im not the most experienced when it comes to cars lol. Well i start my new job tommorow and hopefully i can get the mpfi done on the civic here soon, then the crx is gonna be running the d16 with dpfi. But anways destruction i really do want to say thanks for saving me from all these parts that i was gonna buy. how long have u had ur del sol?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 PM

no problem... i hate to see someone get scammed by a lie on an eBay listing.

had my del sol since last may

Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
HCF Member

thats awesome man, there was one around this area i believe it was a 94 or 95 with a b16a3 turbocharged. he was asking 6500 for it, sound about right? lol, i do recall it had a new paintjob it was blue had some gold drag rims on it. i wanted it but just couldnt afford it.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Price sounds about right. If it had low miles, which most del Sol VTECs do, I wouldn't be surprised if he got that much $$$ for it. Those are pretty rare, the ones with the B16A3. Very sought after engine too, it is basically the same as a B16A2 but it's already OBD1, which makes it great for tuning.

Quick Reply: So can anyone give me some ideas?