General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

spark plug question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:36 PM
HCF Member
Default spark plug question....

ok so while im taking m head off and everything i thought i would replace my spark plugs since its been about 60,000 since the other ones....so i went to the store to buy some bosch plats to replace the bosch plat+2's that i had in there.When i started reading on here after i bought them i readon here that ngk's v powers were the ones i needed to run so i went back to get those.So when i was asking about them the guy up there said something about the cars after 96 (mine is 98) that they needed something with a precious metal like plat or iridium in it and the v powers didnt have that.So anyways i ended up getting the ngk g powers which is like half and half i guess....i havent even heard of that stuff the guy was telling me so i just was like whatever.So should i be fine with the g power ones that i got???

Old 07-08-2007, 05:36 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: spark plug question....

Platinum plugs are overrated. Any car will seem like a rocket with brand-new and properly gapped spark plugs - no matter what brand name is on the package.

Keeping the plugs gapped and inspected (for detonation, rich, ashing, and other 'issues') is the way to go.

I have noticed that some vehicles like certain plugs better than others. For example, my Jeep prefers Champion stock plugs. I'd tried Bosch Platinums (only to have the cores separate after they fouled), Split-Fires, Champion Truck Plugs, Champion Platinums, and came back to standard Champion plugs. There was literally no difference in performance noted (by the Seat-of-pants dyno) in any of them. So I decided to save some money and stick with the stockers.

My understanding is that Hondas like NGK. Might as well stick with what the factory recommends.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

well yeah thats why i got the ngk's...i was just mainly wondering about what that guy said about the metal that the plats have compared to what the v power has...i dont know i just didnt wanna mess up anything but im pretty sure ill be fine...just wanted to make sure though cause what he said just kinda threw me off.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:55 PM
HCF Member

Hey - this is just my experience talking. I'm sure there will be others who claim much better performance, economy, and whatnot with the hotter plugs (read: more expensive). The basic needs for a good performing spark plug is longevity and fade-free resistance. Meaning that as long as the plugs can hold together and can pass a spark, they should do just fine. Keep in mind, the 'platinum' (or whatever other special metal portion of the plug) still has to run through whatever material the rest of the plug is made of to complete the circuit - and those platinum plugs aren't completely made of platinum, after all. You'll notice those little tiny 'pads' on the arm - that's it. That's the platinum. The rest of the plug is made of basic steel and other metals. Maybe the platinum lures the spark to itself better than the standard metal does - big deal. It's going to ignite the fuel no matter where it goes as long as it sparks.

Personally, and again, I have no confidence in Bosch Platinums after 2 of the six in my Jeep had separated cores - the little wire core had actually backed its way out of the porcelin and closed the gap.

But then again - I'm only one guy. Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I have Bosch platinums in mine with no problem. But sparks are sparks and the main issue will be how long they last, barring catastrophic failure. There is nothing magic about platinum versus conventional except the platinum wire doesn't wear down as fast.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378
There is nothing magic about platinum versus conventional except the platinum wire doesn't wear down as fast.
There it is. That's the difference. I knew it wasn't performance-related (for the most part, although the manufacturers will have you believing that your car will fly to the moon if it would sell more product).

Thanks for weighing in, mk378.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:14 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

NGK V-Powers are OEM replacements, I wouldn't run anything else.

It says right in the manual "No Platinum or Iridium spar plugs"

Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 AM
HCF Member

is that for all years though???...i cant find mine to look.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 AM

denzo ftw!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

NGK V-Powers are OEM replacements, I wouldn't run anything else.

It says right in the manual "No Platinum or Iridium spar plugs"

??? nope, the manual just say that use the specified model of DENSO or NGK but notjing about iridium or platinum spark plugs :P

Quick Reply: spark plug question....