General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

is it a square trade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Default is it a square trade?

all right guys here is what i'm up against. i'm normally a american muscle guy all the way, so this will be a first. What i have is a 90 ranger that is in pretty good shape. it serves it's purpose but gas mileage is less than desirable.What i'm looking to do is trade straight across for a 1995 civic dx sedanw/16100 miles on it. It's a 5 speed, interior is dirty but in good shape,the stereo is asking for code. it has slight door damage(looks like hit a post) but both rear quarters have rust over the wheels( could be fixed w/ bondo, or do they have weld in panels?) and the last and most important the exauhst is rotted out from the cat back. blue book private party is 2100-2800 for civic. I want the exauhst to be very quiet i hate the sound of a 4 cylinder. is it true that the oem exauhst is quite expensive?
I don't want to put a bunch of money into the car if it is not worth it. I know i am asking a biased crowd.....so here is the break down he wants 2395 for the civic i paid 2100 for the ranger when i bought it....the civic drives awesome i guess my main concern is the body and exauhst i'm just not all that familiar w/honda ...........any info would greatly be appreciated
thanx kris

Old 10-15-2006, 06:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: is it a square trade?

This realy isn't a biased forum, some of us don't even have civics and are knowledgeable of other types of cars, trucks, whatever. But all I know is that a custom exaust would cost about 100-150 for a shop to put on but I don't know about a stock one but surely it wouldn't cost as much.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:09 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: kristop64089

I want the exauhst to be very quiet i hate the sound of a 4 cylinder. is it true that the oem exauhst is quite expensive?
well if you go to a honda dealership to buy a stock exhaust, be prepared to pay close to 400 bucks. When my exhaust went out on my i went there and the guy quoted me 390 with out hardware. So i found out about megan racing, and bought my exhaust for 325. Saved me about 75 bucks. But if you want a quiet exhaust, ive heard the worldsport is quiet and so is the evo2.

to answer your main question, is this a square trade, i say it is.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:35 PM

um.. i bought a 94 civic lx all stock, only body damage it had was a tiny bit of rust on the rear fender wells for 1200... if you look around you should be able to find something for cheaper. to fix the little bit of rust i had would have been over 1000 dollars. and you cant see it unless you're looking for it. but, i dont know. it's your choice. if i were you i'd try looking around some more first.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:52 PM

they make new rear quarter panels for like 50 bucks look up sherman. that car is a good even trade. any muffler shop could put on a decently quiet exhaust system comparable to factory but won't have the fit and finish of the oem exhaust. to keep it quiet the exhaust must be small oem style piping, needs to have a catalytic converter, a resonator, and a restrictive muffler. with all that it would be really quiet. for the radio code, go to the dealership, its a security code if the battery is disconnected, or your radio is stolen no one can useit. there might be a charge for them to give it to you, call the local dealer to find out.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

how many miles and what motor in the ranger? I had to replace the 2.9l in my 87 ranger at just over 100k, and i guess its a very common problem. I would do it if you are looking for a project car, but if you are just looking for a reliable driver, this isnt going to be it at least for the first few weeks. its going to be a headache right at first, but a good car once youe got it sorted.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:37 PM

well, imade the deal. when the trade was all over i was out $45. can't beat it. other than the body issues this car rocks. never been a rcier fan but this little turd is nimble. has enough power to keep up in traffic and rides ok. other than the body issue everything is copasetic. thanks all for all the info guys.......and as for the radio screw it i ain't payin a dealer to unlock a cassete deck...first thin friday it's getting a new stereo
Peace out, Kris

Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Cat Fuсker

just don't call it a ricer, please:-D

Old 10-17-2006, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: kristop64089

well, imade the deal. when the trade was all over i was out $45. can't beat it. other than the body issues this car rocks. never been a rcier fan but this little turd is nimble. has enough power to keep up in traffic and rides ok. other than the body issue everything is copasetic. thanks all for all the info guys.......and as for the radio screw it i ain't payin a dealer to unlock a cassete deck...first thin friday it's getting a new stereo
Peace out, Kris
don't be a stranger to the forums!