General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Strange Wreck - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Default Strange Wreck - Thoughts?

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to do some investigating here to see if there's any truth in these photos.

Keeping it short, some guy I sold something to claimed his car got wrecked and lost something of mine.

So my question is: does anything look out of place? the accident supposedly took place in Nebraska within the last month. The license plate has been removed.
- it looks like its a right-hand drive car.
- the windshield wipers look strange
- is the license plate spot too long? does nebraska require a license plate in the front of the car?

what do you guys think?

[IMG]local://upfiles/15053/20FCE407F78C453695614E220FDC4718.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15053/FC174C3CCA98456F9338F6F290568B2B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15053/289C9EDAE30744E2B7211BBB4CCC1CC4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Default RE: Strange Wreck - Thoughts?

the steering wheel looks like its on the left hand side in the second pic. but in the third pic u can see it and the wipers are on the opposite side...very strange..

Old 10-14-2006, 12:05 AM
HCF Member

it looks like the photos are strectched, not the car...It also looks a little photoshopped, just because the front plate and the damage on the front left of the car. Jus my observation...I really don't understand the Q though, what did he take from u? or was the car what u sold him?

Old 10-14-2006, 12:13 AM

Yeah, these are the pics he gave me, kind of bad quality - I've been squinting at them for awhile.

The story goes that I sold him a camera lens that was in this car and apparently the car got into an accident, was side-swiped, slid on gravel and the lens got tossed out of the car, and then was damaged/run over by another car. The people in the car then threw out the broken lens so I have no physical proof it was destroyed.

So I guess I'm trying to satisfy my curiosity and squash my paranoia....

It looks like a fairly old civic...95' ? hmm....

Old 10-14-2006, 12:24 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

the steering wheel looks like its on the left hand side in the second pic. but in the third pic u can see it and the wipers are on the opposite side...very strange..

Yea i would have to say that it does look like it's a left hand drive car in that one pic. Also what the hell swipped that car??
________
PUBLIC AUTO INSURANCE ADVICE

Last edited by BrianT; 04-28-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:28 AM
HCF Member

I dont know... to me the wipers are the same on both sides... they start on the right side of the car and tilt left... The third picture just looks a little flattened... like they took the picture with the camera vertical instead of horizontal, making it flatten when it was uploaded or something.

What is the full story, mind me asking? Are you an insurance agent or something? What was it that was misplaced?

THIS IS MY HYPOTHESIS OF WHAT HAPPENED: Some kids were screwing around in their cars on a backroad and their buddy didnt see them slow down and nailed him, that caused him to spin counter-clockwise and clip a tree along the road causing it to stop. They then tried to lift the car from the backside to get it off the tree causing them to snap off the rear bumper panel. Only causing more damage, they left the car overnight and moved it in daylight and pulled back onto the trail to take pictures for insurance (because they dont enjoy cars in trees)...

MY FINDINGS THAT RAISE QUESTION: It looks like every picture was taken in a different spot. Look at the trail and where the trees are. I think the accident happened by the first picture because those trees are spread out more. The second picture and the first picture show movement of the car because the bumper is attached and dangles over the rear tire and is completely removed... this says to me that there was no room to push the car forward so it had to go backwards, causing the bumper to be run over and removed.

THE BIGGEST THING I DONT GET: In picture 1 there is no glass in the passenger window but exists in the second. . . it is clear that the window is unoperational in both both pictures but only shows up in 2nd one. And in the top 2 pictures the side mirrors look fine, but are mangled in the 3rd...

Good luck, man. This is a weird one!

Old 10-14-2006, 12:36 AM
HCF Member

The lens flew from the car?! You can't be serious?! Anyone that knows basic physics could say that a camera lens leaving a car in a wreck is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE unless the car rolled AND IT DIDNT. If he was hit in the rear then the lens would have been protected by the seat (assuming it was in the backseat)... if it was on the front seat next to him then it would have bounced FORWARD to the dash and then straight down to the footwell... if the car spinned as well, it would have had to be happening SOOO fast because there only seem to be a couple exits and they are up HIGH.

Japanese high schools taught me VERY well in physics and natural sciences.. we never studied any actual applications like camera lenses. I believe my high school was ranked one of japan's highest for science... but I was a social science student!

Old 10-14-2006, 12:40 AM

thanks for the detailed hypothesis and analysis....definitely looking closely at this one.

as for me, i'm just a guy that messed up on ebay and got screwed - definitely not an insurance agent.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:46 AM
HCF Member

So was he delivering the lens to you or something? You payed for the merchandise and he is required to deliver it to you. SMALL CLAIMS COURT!!!

Or get your money back, simple enough

Old 10-14-2006, 12:48 AM

not worth the trouble for small claims.....the legal fees and airfare would negate any of that. oh well. lesson learned.

the photos and the story are definitely fishy.

thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Strange Wreck - Thoughts?