General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Synthetic Oil?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Synthetic Oil?

ORIGINAL: MicahCt

No need to be hostile.
I wasn't trying to come off as hostile, I was just trying to get a point across. I'm use to other forums where this sort of "style of typing" thing is more common... hahaha

Old 03-09-2008, 08:29 PM
HCF Member

10w-30 oil is 10w-30 oil. All oils with this rating will have the same viscosity. It makes no difference if it is regular or synthetic. The rating specifies the viscosity. Although putting in synthetic will not hurt your engine, it sure wastes a lot of your money, and puts it in the pocket of already rich oil companies. If it was so much better, the car manufacturers would include it as standard and recommend it.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:23 AM
HCF Member

^^ sounds like my dad lol. You can't really type something like that as fact.

For one thing synthetic oil was developed for race cars initially, cause they wanted a longer lasting oil that can take some punishment and would lessen engine break down. Why would it even be around if it's not needed??? Now if you baby your car and hardly ever rev it hard, ya you prolly wont need synthetic. But if you like to drive your car hard, and don't want to go through quick oil changes (the harder the driving the more contaminants will get into your oil, and will get black quicker) than your best bet is synthetic.

It's like this... once you go syn, you don't go back. Take the test man, you can't knock it if you haven't tried it. I swear after I switched over I noticed my car reved quicker and didn't bog at lower rpms as bad. Thatstuff just shoots through your engine with no hesitation.Plus if you baby your car driving it hell you could prolly go over 10,000 miles with full synthetic.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:56 AM
HCF Member

My brother uses synthetic in his prelude. Just this weekend his main front seal just let go, and the guys at the garage that are working on the car said that the synthetic oil saved his engine.... If he hadn't used it his engine would have been toast.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 AM

The very first synthetic motor oil was Amsoil, having been developed for automobile use by Lt. Col. Al Amztuzio, a jet fighter pilot who noted that synthetic lubricants, used in jet aircraft, would 1)reduce friction and wear on engine components, 2)operate dependendably at severe temperatures, and 3)withstand rigorous engine operation for extended periods without chemical breakdown. The first Amsoil synthetic motor oil for cars appeared in 1972, and was the first automobile synthetic motor oil to be available for cars. As for your question, and other that you may have, I would like to suggest that you visit:

http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.aspx

Most of your questions should be answered there.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:03 AM

Gene J....I respectfully offer the following: Several high performance automobiles come from the factory with synthetic motor oil in the crankcase and with a factory recommendation that synthetics continue to be used.....including the Chevrolet Corvette and Porsche. With respect to putting more money in the oil companies pockets, just the opposite is true if you are willing to believe the research and make use of extended oil changes.

If you purchase synthetic motor oil and continue to change oil with the same frequency as you did with conventional motor oil, it is true that it will cost you more. However, if you use extended-mileage filters and change at the intervals recommended by the synthetic oil company (using true synthetics, NOT synthetic blends), you actually save money, not only from the oil and filter changes themselves, but through the increased fuel economy that is typically realized by using synthetic lubricants.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:24 AM
HCF Member

Instead of trying to convince me, maybe you should try convincing Consumer Reports. Amsoil has a monetary stake in supportingsynthetic oil, Consumer Reports does not. Read on!

http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 AM

Alright, so i'm pretty much convinced that Synthetic is the way to go for the type of driving i will be doing with this Civic...Any recommendations for the oil filter? Any name brands that have a better track record, or would NAPA offer something that could do the job?

Thank you all for the input.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 AM

I seem, for whatever reason, to have struck a sensitive nerve with you, Gene. All I did was report the facts...I am not trying to convince you of anything. And as for the Consumer Reports article: Good Lord, man! It's 12 years old! You've got to know that alot has changed since then. In addition, from my perspective the article says nothing substantive about synthetic oils and wear tests applied to extended oil and filter changes. As for Amsoil having a vested interest in synthetic oil....Of course they do! It's their product and it's called marketing....just like many of the major oil companies who still recommend 3000 mile oil changes. Talk about putting money in the pockets of the oil companies!

Old 03-10-2008, 01:29 PM
HCF Member

Quoting a marketing report from Amsoil is not "facts". Two of the oils used in CU's report were synthetics, including the highly rated Mobil1. What precisely has changed since this test was done? If you know of any in depth test that shows synthetics (or any other oil) are better please post it here, I would like to see it. I seem to have struck a sensitive nerve with you, Don........

If you can't tell any difference in wear after 60,000 miles using 6,000 mile oil change intervals on 75 New York City cabs, I would say the oils are pretty similar, wouldn't you?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil?