General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Teaching someone stick...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:00 PM
HCF Member
Default Teaching someone stick...

Oh man, what a night! My buddy Tom, who is still a senior in HS, is going to be taking his neighbor's jacked up Rubicon to Prom this year...catch is, it's a manual and he doesn't know how to drive it.

He's had some experience driving tractors and a few pickups that were manual, but my light-clutched civic was a bit of a surprise for him .

We started crusin around on some back roads and ended up at a pretty considerable hill. I was helping him by working the ebrake just to get through the intersection, but he stalled 10 or so times. Finally, he got frustrated and gunned it....absolutely smoking my clutch. There was actually smoke coming out from under the hood (didn't even know that was possible), along with that burning rubber smell. At this point, we switch seats, while a car pulls up behind us...They keep revving as I wave them past me, but take like 3 minutes to finally pass us, and I find out that its an Eclipse w/ a really ricy muffler who does a burnout flinging rocks into my car [:@].

So yeah...nothing really special, but I thought I'd share my story...heh. I hate Eclipses!

Old 02-24-2007, 10:08 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Teaching someone stick...

If my friend burnt my clutch that bad id flip on him lol. I remember how much i hated hilsl when i first learned though. I would drive like 10 mintues out of my way to avoid big hills lol.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:14 PM
HCF Member

i hated hills when first learning too. i used to practice in my driveway until i got it. and i got so nervous in traffic.

one of my brothers wants to learn also and some of my friends have been asking me. im jus scared they will mess up my clutch somehow lol

Old 02-24-2007, 10:17 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I wasn't wild about it, but I knew it would happen. I learned on my Mom's A4, and I burned it up a few times...sometimes that's just part of it. I wan't a new clutch anyways...hah. My clutch is so light that when I drive someone elses car I think sometimes wrong with mine when I get back in it.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:20 PM
HCF Member

lmao its the same thing with me and my car

Old 02-24-2007, 10:26 PM

Lol tell me about it. The first time i taught my wife to drive stick, it drove me nuts! I was like yelling and she was crying...

Old 02-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Eun

hills...my dad failed the driving test back in the day 3 times because of that

Old 02-25-2007, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

i got so nervous when driving a manual on the road the first time I got hyves. yea beat that. I still cant really drive a manual but I will teach myself because I know when I get a car that is all I will be getting

Old 02-25-2007, 10:11 PM
HCF Member

The first time I drove a stick it was a 94 95 cavilere, however thats spelled, the Z24 edition, kinda sporty. My buddy let me drive it to the store up the road form his house. I made it out of the driveway no problem, and up the road about 3 miles like a pro, but then I met a hill with a stop sign at the top of it.

That damn hill kept me down for about 8 tries. I stalled out at least 8 times, and then i just popped the cluch and ripped the tires all up that intersection. I managed to get to the store, but I bet some local's were looking at me awful funny along the way.

I still don't know the secret to taking off on a hill with a stick, I haven't had time to practice, everything i drive is a damn automatic. I wish I could brush up on it, without having to buy a car and rip the clutch out a few times.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

i never really had a problem with hills, when i was a new driver, all i did was pull the e brake while at rest on a hill, put it in gear, give a little gas with clutch still engaged, let off clutch just a tad to alleviate pressure off the e brake, all while doing what i previously stated then i would start to release the ebrake when i give it enough gas to start a little momentum, and then i'm off with out a stall or any problems or worries.

that prolly didn't make sense but who cares/

Quick Reply: Teaching someone stick...