General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Is there a difference between vtec and i-vtec?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Default Is there a difference between vtec and i-vtec?

??? just wondering

Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Is there a difference between vtec and i-vtec?

Copied from Wikipedia:

i-VTEC

i-VTEC (intelligent-VTEC [4]) introduced continuously variable camshaft phasing on the intake cam of DOHC VTEC engines. The technology first appeared on Honda's K-series four cylinder engine family in 2001 (2002 in the U.S.). Valve lift and duration are still limited to distinct low- and high-RPM profiles, but the intake camshaft is now capable of advancing between 25 and 50 degrees (depending upon engine configuration) during operation. Phase changes are implemented by a computer controlled, oil driven adjustable cam gear. Phasing is determined by a combination of engine load and rpm, ranging from fully retarded at idle to maximum advance at full throttle and low rpm. The effect is further optimization of torque output, especially at low and midrange RPM.

For the K-Series motors there are two different types of i-VTEC systems implemented. The first is for the performance motors like in the RSX Type S or the TSX and the other is for economy motors found in the CR-V or Accord. The performance i-VTEC system is basically the same as the DOHC VTEC system of the B16A's, both intake and exhaust have 3 cam lobes per cylinder. However the valvetrain has the added benefit of roller rockers and continuously variable intake cam timing. The economy i-VTEC is more like the SOHC VTEC-E in that the intake cam has only two lobes, one very small and one larger, as well as no VTEC on the exhaust cam. The two types of motor are easily distinguishable by the factory rated power output: the performance motors make around 200 hp or more in stock form and the economy motors do not make much more than 160 hp from the factory.

In 2004, Honda introduced an i-VTEC V6 (an update of the venerable J-series), but in this case, i-VTEC had nothing to do with cam phasing. Instead, i-VTEC referred to Honda's cylinder deactivation technology which closes the valves on one bank of (3) cylinders during light load and low speed (below 80 mph) operation. The technology was originally introduced to the US on the Honda Odyssey minivan, and can now be found on the Honda Accord Hybrid and the 2006 Honda Pilot.

An additional version of i-VTEC was introduced on the 2006 Honda Civic's R-series four cylinder SOHC engines. This implementation uses the so-called "economy cams" on one of the two intake valves of each cylinder. The "economy cams" are designed to delay the closure of the intake valve they act upon, and are activated at low rpms and under light loads. When the "economy cams" are activated, one of the two intake valves in each cylinder closes well after the piston has started moving upwards in the compression stroke. That way, a part of the mixture that has entered the combustion chamber is forced out again, into the intake manifold. That way, the engine "emulates" a lower displacement than its actual one (its operation is also similar to an Atkinson cycle engine, with uneven compression and combustion strokes), which reduces fuel consumption and increases its efficiency. During the operation with the "economy cams", the (by-wire) throttle butterfly is kept fully open, in order to reduce pumping losses. According to Honda, this measure alone can reduce pumping losses by 16%. In higher rpms and under heavier loads, the engine switches back into its "normal cams", and it operates like a regular 4 stroke Otto cycle engine. This implementation of i-VTEC was initially introduced in the R18A1 engine found under the bonnet of the 8th generation Civic, with a displacement of 1.8 L and an output of 140PS. Recently, another variant was released, the 2.0 L R20A2 with an output of 150PS, which powers the EUDM version of the all-new CRV

With the continued introduction of vastly different i-VTEC systems, one may assume that the term is now a catch-all for creative valve control technologies from Honda.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 PM

I read vtec is for performance, i-vtec is for economy

Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 AM

thanks guys

Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: TheInternet

My 2008 Si says i-vtec on the side, and I don't think I got the economy motor.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 PM

yeah i mean mines only an ex but its a i-vtec andit is pretty quick in my opinion, BUT it also does get really good gas milage but.... so does every civic... cause they rock.

soooooooo idk lol but now i know the "i" stands for intelegent

Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: shroomy07CEX

yeah i mean mines only an ex but its a i-vtec andit is pretty quick in my opinion, BUT it also does get really good gas milage but.... so does every civic... cause they rock.

soooooooo idk lol but now i know the "i" stands for intelegent
lol intelligent

Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 PM

shows my IQ doesnt it HAHAHAHA

Old 02-12-2008, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: GSXRSpeed

ORIGINAL: TheInternet

My 2008 Si says i-vtec on the side, and I don't think I got the economy motor.
I didnt say its an economy motor...I wrote its for ecomony, ie not designed 100% for performace.

vtec in my 01 changes the cam timing only abovecertain engine speeds.

Your i-vtec can continuously change timing...this technology is being used pretty much everywhere these days...even on the Yaris and Fit, since it gives you performance and fuel ecomony...

(Compared to on my 01 coupe 7th gen where vtec was a performance option compared to non vtec engines of the same gen...)

So that is all I meant...by no means is your 08 and economy car...its pretty much a sports car in my view...

Old 02-13-2008, 08:49 AM
HCF Member

I have an i-vtec in our 02 CR-V. That little buggar is fast. It will leave my civicin the dust.

Quick Reply: Is there a difference between vtec and i-vtec?