General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

these cars aren't very fast ey

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:29 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: these cars aren't very fast ey

ORIGINAL: Spanky

and a lot of hondas like hatches may not be pushing big numbers but they also arent pushing a high weight...it's all power to weight ratio with hondas well hatches mostly but even 2 doors are light say compared to a mustang...
i love when people that don't know much compare weights of hatches vs. coupes, they think the differences are astronomical, lol

Old 07-04-2007, 09:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Type RB

Unless you're on a track, racing is gay.

I'm not discounting the fact that people can build hot cars out of imports or anything - because the technology is definitely out there. But trying to figure out who has built the better car away from a controlled environment like an actual track is just dumb, and asking for trouble.

Most of my vehicles have more ground clearance than any dozen of the cars on this forum combined, so yeah - I'm not really into how much faster someone can get there than I can. I bought my EG for economy because 4x4s suck a lot more gas than smaller displacement imports. That doesn't mean that I'm any less impressed with hot rods or fast cars. Just keep 'em on the track while racing, is all I'm saying.
I'm impressed with what some people can successfully run using ingenuity instead of a bankroll or a visa card. You can throw $40K at a Yugoor buy a Corvette to run fast 1/4s. You can pay a shop big bucksto jack up a Chevy K2500 and throw someBoggers on it or spend $80K+ on an H1to run mud pits. The fact that some people can successfully boosta5th-7th genCivic for under $2K is impressive. The fact that some people can run 35s on a street-legalJeep TJ with no lift is impressive. The fact that people are competing and winning with vehicles like this is a testament to their skills as drivers.

Not many people know how to build/drive a car to perform well on a variety oftrack types, yet still be a great commuter pulling decent mileage. Not many people know how to build/drive a high-clearance low COG 4x4 to perform well on a variety of terrains yet still be viable for long-distance interstate bombing. These kinds of ventures take planning and patience.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:33 AM

This:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbui...ing/index.html
Is more work than its worth. No offense, but I'd be way more impresed with someone who diy-ed some mild lift components that added flex, and didn't re-arrange the engine bay...

But I agree with your sentiment!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kommando
I'm impressed with what some people can successfully run using ingenuity instead of a bankroll or a visa card. You can throw $40K at a Yugoor buy a Corvette to run fast 1/4s. You can pay a shop big bucksto jack up a Chevy K2500 and throw someBoggers on it or spend $80K+ on an H1to run mud pits. The fact that some people can successfully boosta5th-7th genCivic for under $2K is impressive. The fact that some people can run 35s on a street-legalJeep TJ with no lift is impressive. The fact that people are competing and winning with vehicles like this is a testament to their skills as drivers.

Not many people know how to build/drive a car to perform well on a variety oftrack types, yet still be a great commuter pulling decent mileage. Not many people know how to build/drive a high-clearance low COG 4x4 to perform well on a variety of terrains yet still be viable for long-distance interstate bombing. These kinds of ventures take planning and patience.
I believe we're in agreement. I just prefer to see such things (on-road, off-road, et al.) proven and settled where they belong - away from public streets.

You'd probably think I was smoking something if you knew what my Jeep is capable of, found out I did it all myself, and how little money I actually have in it thus far. So yeah, I'm always impressed to see someone pulling off cheap tricks and getting huge gains, especially when taking an otherwise unimpressive econo-box and turning it into a fire-breathing asphalt monster - and especially not having to spend a small fortune to do it.

Mad props to the tuners - professional as well as shade-tree.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bpapa

This:
Is more work than its worth. No offense, but I'd be way more impresed with someone who diy-ed some mild lift components that added flex, and didn't re-arrange the engine bay...

Actually, that effort really only required engine bay modifications because the style of fenders they went with had no inner-fenders to speak of. I was faced with similar issues with my Jeep when I modded my fenders, although since mine's an '80 CJ-7, there's a whole lot less clutter and engine components living on those inner-fenders to worry about. My Jeep

Old 07-05-2007, 07:55 AM

Right on, I didn't mean to offend anyone with that! I always wanted to put a mild lift on my old 4runner (I'm a Toyota man when it comes to trucks/SUVs but I'm not a trash talker about it or anything, wheelin' is soooo much fun no matter what you drive so what's the point?), and I found a real cheap kit back in the day that actually seemed like it would be easier to install than that mod we were talkin about. And my runr was IFS! (coulda done 2.5" or 5" lift with variations on the same kit to do 33" or 35" meats easy, and added a little mo'flex)

Nice Jeep tho!! Looks uber-flexy from what I can tell...

The new 4dr Wrangler is, unfortunately for me, the first Wrangler I've ever liked... Just my opinion tho, I know they have always been uber capable!

[edit]Now that I think about it tho, I believe the 5" kit required an extra package to change thesteering geometry which was more time and mo'$$$[/edit]

Old 07-06-2007, 08:56 AM
HCF Member

It's a whole lot better since I switched to the wide-trac axles, to compensate for the 33x15.50 Swampers that were way too wide for the narrow-trac axles it came with. The insides of the tires actually used to rub the frame at full flex, preventing some flex as well. Not so now.

I used to be a Nissan man, myself. Always loved the Toyotas though - never found one I could afford, so I went with my first '85 Nissan 4x4 instead. Loved that truck, although there was absolutely zero aftermarket support, unlike the Toyotas. I guess I need to make a signature now with a link to my website.

http://www.mister4x4.net

Old 07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bpapa

This:

Compared to the standard "pay the shop or throw on a 4-6" suspension lift"? My grandma could almost still get in that rig. That article wasdone by people experimenting, and not by someone following established methods that were already known to work. That has inherently more work involved. Imagine if they later triangulated the rear to eliminate the trackbar, then added flexy 2" lift springs and a frame-high skid. That TJ would rulefor an off-camber rockcommuter.

YJs used to run 4" suspension or SOA,and 3" BL, just to clear 35s. That's WAY up there in height and COG compared to the modern approach of raised tube fenders, 1" BL, and 0-2" suspension to fit 35-36" tires. The modern method typically rides better, handles better, is cheaper, and has fewer issues to address with the driveline, brake hoses, and steering. Add a frame-high skid and ground clearance is improved drastically too.

There's actually a couple of ways to fit 35s on a TJwithout a bigsuspension lift or big bodylift. AEV makes a highline fender kit that is bolt-on in the front and requires just a little trimming for the rear. For the real budgetDIYers...People aremaking their own "fender lifts" though, often with simple tools and great results,especially in Australia. I think that's where AEV got the idea. Lifting a suspension raises the center of gravity and usually requires additional mods to the driveline, steering, and brakelines. The modern method barely affects how these rigsdrive down the highway too.

To get back more to the original topic, I never even knew somebody could put together a Civic forced induction package for under $2K without being an engineer/machinist or something. Then the suspension and tires can be set up for under $1K. For under $5K, including the purchase price of the car, shadetree mechanics are coming up with competitive pocket racers that can actually handle turns, and still be comfortably commuted year-round without sucking down a gallon of gas every 15 miles.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 PM

Yeah, back in the day I realized very quickly that doing something really awesome with my old 4runner would have been in general more trouble and more $$$ than it was worth. Although Idid finda solid front axle swap kit from a small company that maintained stability all the way to highway speed. And I believe it could even be adapted to a 4-link-sus setup that would still be daily drivable. www.allprooffroad.com

I always wanted to do it, but the engine sucked and I finally traded it in (for my '02 Si) when it ateits oil pump. (After I'd already had the engine rebuilt once)

***Sorry I'm done with the offroad stuff, it just made me all nostalgic for my old runr, and I felt obligated to relate the dreams I had for it. Sorry***

But yeah, props to anyone who can figure out a way (especially a novel way) to do it themselves on the cheap!
I've noticed that home-brew electric cars and especially electric dragsters are full of brilliant shade tree engineers as of late...

Old 12-20-2007, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

With my knowledge with 4x4's, it is generally not the best to go making your own lift components without CAD designing,CNC machines and master fab skills. can be done, but alot of lift manufacturers actually just build kits to add height, so you can fit bigger tires underneath. just like with civic lowering kits that just lower the car with no thought to driving dynamics or suspension travel,etc. if you just hacked it together, it would be like cutting the stock coils on your car, which has many reprecussions on handling, suspension cycling,wheel travel and safety.

Quick Reply: these cars aren't very fast ey