General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Tips before buying a '98 civic.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 AM
Default Tips before buying a '98 civic.

First of all, I'd like to say hi to the community, as this is my first post ever in this forum.

A friend is offering me a Honda Civic '98, Manual. (I'm coming from a Chevrolet Cavalier '95, which got stolen ).
And I don't really know much about it (yet), but it looks pretty good, and has about 180.000 Km (110.000 miles) .

I am planning to take it to a mechanic this afternoon, or tomorrow. However, I would like to know if there's anything in particular that I should pay attention to, any common issues with the transmission, engine (stock), etc. So I can tell my mechanic to check thoroughly those aspects.

Could you give me some advice?.

Cheers from Venezuela, and thanks in advance.

P.S: I'm planning to post some pictures and additional info as soon as it gets to my hands

Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 AM
HCF Member

It's probably already to the mechanic by now, but I'm sure he'll check the usual things (compression, oil condition, etc.). The big thing is to find out the condition of the timing belt, as these are interference-type engines, and if that belt needs to get changed, do it.

Otherwise, watch for rust on the exhaust and the rear fenders (two typical spots), and have him check the rear trailing arm bushings (the big round ones), as those tend to wear out and crack on older Civics.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:23 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ChristianL
It's probably already to the mechanic by now, but I'm sure he'll check the usual things (compression, oil condition, etc.). The big thing is to find out the condition of the timing belt, as these are interference-type engines, and if that belt needs to get changed, do it.

Otherwise, watch for rust on the exhaust and the rear fenders (two typical spots), and have him check the rear trailing arm bushings (the big round ones), as those tend to wear out and crack on older Civics.
Quarter panels is the term you are looking for.