General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

tire skidding

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Default tire skidding

hey all....i'm pretty new to the manual aspect. sometimes when i gas too much and pull off the clutch a tad bit too quickly..my tires skid like i'm about to race someone. is that bad for my tires? it's a short skid..i'm not burning rubber. also, is there a way u can preserve ur clutch's life length? my car is brand new but i want to keep it nice

Old 08-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Default RE: tire skidding

well ur tire skid becasue ur changin gears at an high rpm so when ur tire pick up traction is make that chirps noise. its not necessarly bad. by the way nice civic si u have there.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:38 PM

cool. thank u thank u. i love it.[:'(]

Old 08-09-2007, 12:41 PM

just keep learning manual. let the clutch out slower and be more easy on the gas and u wont squeek the tires.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:45 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: SI_smiley07

hey all....i'm pretty new to the manual aspect. sometimes when i gas too much and pull off the clutch a tad bit too quickly..my tires skid like i'm about to race someone. is that bad for my tires? it's a short skid..i'm not burning rubber. also, is there a way u can preserve ur clutch's life length? my car is brand new but i want to keep it nice
Yeah, keep practicing. If you're squealing tires you're being hard on something.

You can preserve your clutch longevity by not abusing it. Don't use it to hold the car in place on a hill. Don't start off at high RPMs. Don't rest your foot on the clutch pedal. When waiting in traffic, shift to neutral and release the clutch pedal instead of keeping the pedal down with the car in gear.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like you're getting back on the gas too soon. Rev up the engine while the clutch is disengaged, and that stored energy will make the tires squeal. It's fun as long as someone else is buying you tires. If you try to dissipate it by letting the clutch out slowly, this will cause severe wear on the clutch (basically, you're skidding the clutch instead of the tires then, not good). You want to let the clutch out quick, and have the clutch pedal all the way out before giving it gas.

Itcan get into the opposite situation where the car will slow down suddenly when letting the clutch out because the engine isn't turning fast enough. In that case you need to complete the shift faster or just touch the gas pedal to keep the engine at the proper rpm while shifting. With practice if you have the rpms right then you can drop the clutch out fast and nothing will jump.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:38 PM
HCF Member

just practice until you have the perfect balance down to where you can shift and let go of the clutch right before your rpms start going up, also known as rev match between me and my buddies. you just need to be smooth enough so that you could shift and clutch out when your engine's rpm matches with the speed of your car so that there will be no pressure on the clutch. this way, the clutch will slide right in and you can start accelerating instantly with the gas pedal

hope this makes sense to you, i had a hard time finding the right words

Old 08-10-2007, 10:44 PM
HCF Member

simply put, you're not that great of a driver, so chances are you need more practice.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:39 PM

hey guys...sounds good. i'm not that great at manual because i've only been driving for about 5 days now. practice makes perfect!

Old 08-11-2007, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

in a month, you should be like every other driver (except for yanks who can't drive for ****)

Quick Reply: tire skidding