General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

totaled my car....

Old 02-01-2008, 10:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: totaled my car....

Black ice is a killer. Saw entirely too much of it when i lived in northeast ohio. It's damn near impossible to prepare for it.. but if it's freezing out, and you even have the slightest reason to believe there is ice, slow the hell down.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 PM
HCF Member

im paranoid as **** to drive in winter now.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:08 AM
HCF Member

Yeah I hear that, I used to live in NE Ohio as str8spaceball once did. That stuff can be nasty. It sucks you lost your car, just like everyone else said though, your o.k. Material things are replaceable and not important when your safety is at stake. Driving after a wreck totally sucks. Some drunka** pulled out in front of me in a intersection once. It was rainy-ish (that kinda slime, moisture mixed with dirty and road debris) all over the road. I slammed the brakes but nothing (all the abs in the world could not have stopped me at that point) I cracked the guy in the rear end and spun his vehicle around. Even though it was not my fault, I white-knuckled the steering wheel for a good 6 months or so before I could relax around other drivers (especially that intersection (had to use it twice daily)).

Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 AM
HCF Member

yeah ice isnt fun at all nor is winter.
i should have some pics of the car up soon.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:56 AM
HCF Member

To Str8spaceball and 07blksi, where in OH were you guys from from?

I definately have to agree that the roads blow here in the winter.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:57 AM
HCF Member

I was born and raised in Akron. I moved down to florida last year (so i spent 21 years in ohio). I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 6 months, and now Ft. Myers for 6 months.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Str8spaceball

I was born and raised in Akron. I moved down to florida last year (so i spent 21 years in ohio). I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 6 months, and now Ft. Myers for 6 months.
Nice, I'm about 25-30 minutes west of Cleveland. I wish I could move to a warmer climate like you though. [&:]

Old 02-03-2008, 07:17 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: totaled my car....my story

In late winter 1977(?) my Dad bought a brand new Ford Fiesta. Two weekslater driving to work he hit some black ice under a bridge at an intersection and couldn't stop or even slow down at the red light. Heslid through the intersection and was broadsided bya bus, completely totalling this shiny new car but thankfully himself sustaining only light injuries. The insurance companypaid in full the new cost of the car, but because of the trauma he didn't own a car or drive for a year afterwards. The city of Etobicoke immediately sanded the intersection, since my Dad's was not the only such accident at the intersection that day.

The reason I got a new Honda recently is that a lady who had just found out she had terminal cancer, thus wasn't paying attention,turned right in front of my 1990 Civic ata T-intersection.Despite hard braking I still gave her car a hard whump, badlydamaging her brand new Chrysler Sebring.I tried deperately to getthe Hondawritten off (my car couldn't have been worth $1000!) but the insurance company insisted on having this old car repaired, - new fender, hammered-out bumper, and wheel alignment.Other nicks and bruises resulting from the accident weren't even looked at.The car just didn't handle the same afterwards thus I'm getting rid of it. What a waste! I couldhave used the write-off money towards the new Honda. https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_548434/tm.htm

[sm=violin.gif]

Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Every time someone has hit me I've always had the option to keep the money (either repair estimate or ACV - salvage) and not repair the car. Maybe this varies by state though.

If your car is still not right after an insurance company has paid to repair it, you can go back to them and demand further repairs. They are supposed to get you to the same condition you were just before the crash.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

Every time someone has hit me I've always had the option to keep the money (either repair estimate or ACV - salvage) and not repair the car. Maybe this varies by state though.

If your car is still not right after an insurance company has paid to repair it, you can go back to them and demand further repairs. They are supposed to get you to the same condition you were just before the crash.
Yes even the insurance agent said that I shouldn't have had any concerns after the repair. I guess I just didn't push them hard enough because I was itching for a new car. It's a shame that I didn't follow up though. I really really hope nothing does happen to the new car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: totaled my car....