General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

wanna go fast

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Default wanna go fast

Hi, im new here to your forum, i just bought a 95 honda civic dx, and i want to know what some of the cheap modifications i can do to make my car have more torque, and perform a little bit better. i gutted my air box and thats about all i did to it thus far. if you could give me some tips/links of things i'd really appreciate it thanks

Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: wanna go fast

you gutted it? meaning you took out the filter if so that is a horible idea and put it back in
more hp i/h/e intake header exhaust look in that thread and you will find some stuff out

Old 02-25-2008, 06:33 PM

noooooo im not that dumb lol. all i did was drill a buncha holes in the air box looks like swiss cheese

Old 02-25-2008, 06:38 PM
HCF Member

First of all, PUT THE DAMN AIR FILTER BACK IN!!! lol

Second, the most performance enhancing mods you can do on a budget are intake, header, and exhaust. If you have more money and time on your hands, you could always put in a jackson racing supercharger, or a turbo kit. But the stock internals of the D series engine can only handle around 220hp, so don't give er too much boost.

Third, if you want to make your car handle better, accelerate faster, and get better mileage, all for free, you can always lower the weight of your car.

And of those don't work, you could add VTAK!!11!!!!1!1!1!1!!one!!1

Old 02-25-2008, 06:43 PM

i never took my air filter out sorry to create confusion lol. all i did was increase the air flow in the air box by drilling holes into the plastic air box, never ever ever took out filter lol

Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 PM

hey masonn whats a good/intermediate quality turbo kit and how much do they run usually?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

If you want a fast car, it's better to buy a faster car in the first place like an Si. The DX is bottom of the barrel and you should have waited to buy something better. Maybe you have to live with it so you have to upgrade it, but the DX is last on my list. My HX is way better than a DX of the same year.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:10 PM

well, i realize i bought i kinda lower end car. i'm ok with it because i'm just learning how to work on cars. its more of a frankenstein car..and i got a super deal on it. dont worry jesse, i plan on getting a 350z when finances permit :P i just wanna know some quick and simple mods that could get me into learning about the componants of my car and all that other stuff and make it perform better/faster and with more torque. trust me man, its a big upgrade from a 93 escourt with 500k on it, even if it is bottom line.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Jesse69

If you want a fast car, it's better to buy a faster car in the first place like an Si. The DX is bottom of the barrel and you should have waited to buy something better. Maybe you have to live with it so you have to upgrade it, but the DX is last on my list. My HX is way better than a DX of the same year.
The HX is ment for fuel economy, and doesn't have vtec.

It's good that you have a civic for your platform to learn about modding. Theres an ample amount of aftermarket parts and decent prices. But unfortunatly there is some truth to what jesse69 is saying. The only real way to get some horspower out of your car is an engine swap or turbo it.

You can do some bolt-on mods, but will only get 10-15 more hp out of your engine. don't mean to bring ya down but it's better you know ahead of time befor you go ahead and put money into it.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 PM

well i definatly appreciate you telling me that before i invest. my plan(i need to know more before i do it) is to turbo it in the summer/fall. do the d series engines handle the extra heat and crap well with a turbo or is it hazardous to its well being? i didnt say this in my posts before, but im not looking really to race the car, i just want the most i can get with it, and i like how turbos make your car sound like a jet. thats really the only basis for me wanting it to be a "fast" car. its really just a car to get me to and from work while im saving up for something better. at least i have a nice system in it, it always puts a smile on my face when im down town and theres some gangster kid in his low rider lincoln with rust all over it listening to rap and i pull up beside him playing death metal, i crank it and usually get the look. so if i cant beat them, ill just give them a headache at every red light. i realize you guys on here are like uber car guys and are probably reading my posts think omfg what a noob! i'm just trying to broaden my hobbies, because i own all the guitars, guns and audio equiptment i want, so time to move on to something else

Quick Reply: wanna go fast