General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

what best for oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Default what best for oil change?

what kinda oil should i put in when i do my oil change on my jdm engine, is a d15b? not sure about the miles on it.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:28 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: what best for oil change?

Mobil1 is your friend. So is synthetic. I would reccomend staying away from Pennzoil

Old 11-09-2006, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

What ever is recomended in the owners manual. when in doubt check there. or get a haynes manual

Old 11-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

get some 10w30 fully synthetic mobil one and you are golden

Old 11-09-2006, 06:08 PM
HCF Member

synthetic is good, but if you dont want to spend that much money, regular oil is good..and depending how many miles are on it, if theres lots, i would recommend a high mileage oil because it will protect the seals better, i use castrol GTX and i like it..if i had a higher performance motor, i would probably use synthetic. I use synthetic tranny fluid tho, gm synchromesh

Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: 2000Ex

Mobil1 is your friend. So is synthetic. I would reccomend staying away from Pennzoil
HUGE ditto on that... Pennzoil sucks.... Valvoline and Mobil1 are the best oils around... I've used Valvoline on every car I've owned (other than my Civic... I'm going to either use SynPower (Valvoline) or Mobil1 because the previous owner used it...) One thing.. it's not wise to switch from full synthetic to petroleum-based... it's not bad to move up, though.

Castrol GTX isn't bad, either... just not one of my top picks.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

^^ you do know that valvoline oil is identical to napa brand oil right? napa cheaper to just bottle in a different bottle

Old 11-09-2006, 11:04 PM

ORIGINAL: riceburner700

^^ you do know that valvoline oil is identical to napa brand oil right? napa cheaper to just bottle in a different bottle
Actually, I didn't know that... doesn't surprise me, though... that's what a lot of companies do.... they buy the rights to the product, then brand it themselves... I guess the biggest question is... who's oil is it? Is it Napa's oil that Valvoline put their name on or is it Valvoline's oil that they slapped Napa on? I'll put money on the latter...

I tend to not shop at Napa... they've never really made me feel "good" in the store... I used to work for Q-lube, which was taken over by Jiffy Lube (both sporting the worst oils in the world... Quaker State / Pennzoil) I'll probably stick to Mobil1. I can get a 5qt container at Walmart for $23. (vs. $6/qt at Checker)

Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 PM
HCF Member

So is Mobil 1 Clean good since its cheaper than Castrol GTX.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:25 AM
HCF Member

Mobile 1 is the best among other names
ive been using it for last year and im tellin u dawg its like Protien Shake to bodybuilders its just gives the engine a magic touch that every civic owner needs to maintain their vehicles
God bless America

Quick Reply: what best for oil change?