General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What Civic and upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Default What Civic and upgrades?

I'm looking for the best, most powerful civic i can get in the 3-5 grand range. I want 5th gen or newer preferably. My mom is buying me a car, and i am going to do the upgrades when i have money. probably 3-4k worth. I've been doing research lately but having some trouble, so much to learn. I want the car, and i want to put a body kit on it and performance upgrades. Let me know what you think.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 AM
HCF Member

Look for a Ex or Si, try to look for a 5 speed because they give better performance over the auto's.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 AM

That's what i was looking at, and definitely in 5 speed. I was thinking of a cold air intake setup over a turbo, for cost efficiency. I was wondering what the difference in performance is, and i live in new york so my temperatures get to a very high and a very low, will i still be fine? And i'm also about 6'1" so i won't be too big for a EX will i? just heard that they are pretty small ha.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:46 PM
HCF Member

I am 6'1 and fit fine in my civic, these civic look small from the outside, but they are roomy.

If you do plan on going turbo, then stay away from the header and intake for now, it would be a waste of money.

Just same your money and get a turbo, and since you will have a D-Series, these things love to be boosted.

If you plan on going all N/A then yea, a nice header and intake would be a nice start.

Will there be a difference in performance..... not really, it would just be a nice rush at 1st then it will fade and then you will want more.

You really wount stat seeing any really big performance untill you start putting cam's cam gears maybe ITB.

But the real question is what are you trying to build?
A track car, or drag?

And dont worry about the temperatures around here, i to live in the Big Apple and i see no diff in performance, unless you plan on Drag racing, then you start to worry.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:12 PM
HCF Member

^ What he said, and please no body kit your car will look 100 times better with maybe a front lip instead.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:17 PM

I'm definitely going for more of a track car. Do you have some other way of contact you? Like im or something, your infos been helpful and I'm new to all this and it'd be even more helpful to have someone fill me on on some info ha.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

Unfortunately "powerful" and "civic" don't really go together without quite a bit of work (and money lol). Adding a cold air intake, header, and exhaust won't give you that much more power (still worth doing though IMO )

Like SPLAT said though, D series engines love to be turbo'd. But that route can be expensive if you do it right (and even more expensive if done wrong).

Honestly, I think the FIRST thing you should do when you get a Civic is buy new suspension components (adjustable coilovers, new shocks/struts, etc) and make it handle like a go kart Seems almost everyone agrees that it's the best, most satisfying mod you can do.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:40 PM

First gotta ask kingdakota, what's wrong with a body kit?

I'm probably looking at a max of 5k, some of the stuff I'm hearing is new and confusing to me ha. with that much what do you guys suggest, keeping in mind I will do further upgrades in the future

Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

Body kits just don't look good on Civic's and I bet I can believe that everyone or most of us here will agree, Your car will look a lot better with just a front lip, like Spoon, or Mugen.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
HCF Member

^ I've seen ONE body kit on a civic that i liked, that was guy on here (beast19rp ) and he essentially made the body kit.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...=48961&page=15

Even that, I wouldn't do it to my civic lol. But it's YOUR Civic and YOUR money.

I encourage you to look through these threads, see what appeals to you

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php...l+coupe+thread

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php...l+coupe+thread

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php...light=door+ej6

Quick Reply: What Civic and upgrades?