General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What do you guys think about this hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:09 PM
HCF Member
Default What do you guys think about this hatch?

"Has brand new 17" tires and wheels not even a 100 miles on them. Interior is in great shape ac works gets 35+ to the gallon now=) If you arent interested in the ls swap motor and tranny we could maybe work something out."
"To be honest I wanted to trade for a bike because I have so much tied up in the car. Its a 92 vx with a d15z1 in it now. I also have a b18a ls swap for it sitting here with tranny and all. I would have to get near $4000 for it"

4k is with the b18. I'd most likey try to get it w/o. That's all I know cause tahts all they said. What would you guys pay for this? Im gonna try to find out the mileage and if its auto or manual. hopefully it's a manual

Name:  70527c95.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  8.5 KB

Old 06-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: What do you guys think about this hatch?

i would go with the b18 because it has more torque and power. its also gonna be funner to drive and still get 30+ miles to the galon. If you want to do a motor swap yourself just buy the car with the d15 in it

Old 06-12-2007, 06:54 PM
HCF Member

B18 FTW!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:12 PM
HCF Member

Well, with the b18 it would be about $4000, then i'd still have to swap it. I don't really have that kind of money right now. Only have about $2700.
Well, could talk to the parents about a loan from them. What options should that car have? I haven't heard back from the owner yet on that. How hard is a b18 swap?

Old 06-13-2007, 03:14 AM
HCF Member

$4K for a LS that's not even in the car seems a little steep to me. Pretty sweet little hatch though. I would offer $2500 for it with the D in it and save/build. Don't go into hock for an LS.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 AM
HCF Member

They said it had about 180,000k when they got it, then they put an SI cluster reading like 290,000 so they dont know they exact mileage. It's a manul, with manual widnows and locks. They would sell it for $3000 with out the b18 or $3600 with.
Is that cheap for a b18?
Excellent [/align] $2,190 [/align]
Good [/align] $1,865 [/align]
Fair [/align] $1,475

There's also a 96 hatch, auto :'( with 112k miles no options, for $2200, don't know how it looks though. How hard/how much should it cost to convert it to a manual?
If it's a CX...
Excellent [/align] $3,535 [/align]
Good [/align] $3,125 [/align]
Fair [/align] $2,655Dx is about $400 more on each.
If that civic's in good shape that would be a good deal. To bad it's an auto..
Oh, but it does have "butterfly doors" lol. Idk if they mean lambo or what.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

Well he's asking a really steep price on the fifth gen hatch, and then the 96 one has lambo doors (YOU DO NOT WANT THEM-most likely) They are a reliability, safety issue, and are just plain annoying on a daily basis. Show him the blue book price on the fifth gen hatch, see if you can talk him down.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

Aw man that reminds of a VX I almost bought about a month ago! Buy it!! A clean 92-95 hatch w/ no rust, no wrecks is getting hard to come by nowadays... But, esp since you said you were short on money (I dont know if you already have a car or not) it could be a lot of work anyway. You know, the usual to look for - clutch, engine leaks, CV axles, brakes, trans grinding etc...

I bought a Hx w/ 227K on it, it looked in really clean shape like that but little by little over the past year I've had to do the clutch, the brakes, fix an oil leak, next the cv axles...it adds up...But if you REALLY like the car and have the money (or time) to work on it then its well worth it, in my opinion.

See if you can get the b18 compression tested or something, would suck if you bought it and it didnt run! And I know those VX are fetching a pretty good dollar right now w/ gas prices - though that thing should be getting over 40 unless the 17s really sucked it out - stock a vx should get over 50 mpg...

Old 06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

I currently have a 92 ranger that gets a whopping 15-16 mpg mixed driving. Lookin to double it lol.
I don't think the person with the 92 would let it go much cheaper cause at first they said 4k but you never know. I'll talk to them some more on that.

How hard would it be to convert a car with lambos to stock? If I got either one I'd probably get 2 doors with power cause I'm not a fan of manual windows and locks (thats how my ranger is).
I've got the tools I'd need and I can weld decent. Shouldn't be to hard.. right..? That is if I didn't like them.
How are they a reliability issue? I can undesterstand saftey somewhat.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:41 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I have a jeep too, thats why I got into the whole civic thing too, to double the mpgs...Mine has almost paid for itself in 1 year (thats driving about 30,000 miles in a year, bought it for about $2800), except I just put a grand into it recently so if I can get another 10K problem free I'll be good again.

I actually tried to convert my wrangler over to a manual, but after looking into it - its a lot of work. I'd assume the same w/ the civic, though someone cx me if I'm wrong. But the time you convert the trans, replace the doors (junkyard parts, contrary to popular belief, are not really that cheap) you'd be looking at around the same as the vx. guess it all depends on what shape the car is in.

Just to give you a price-comparision, I almost bought (was going to sell my HX) for a 1995 VX, same color as the one you were looking at, and probably in about the same shape cosmetically. It had 129,000 miles on it, had a new clutch, new brake pads and rotors. It was very very clean, no rust, didnt have the 17" wheels, just some 15" ex wheels. The guy ended up selling it for $3000, I would've jumped in there and bought it for $3100 but I was too late. But then again, I was after the VX engine and its 50 mpg...

good luck

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about this hatch?