General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What are really the chance of a Mod Civic beating a mod mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: What are really the chance of a Mod Civic beating a mod mustang?

okay, let's address this power/weight issue:

The accepted rule of thumb in drag racing is that for every 100 lbs you shed in weight, your1/4 miletime will be lowered by 0.1 seconds.

Now, if both the mustang and civic weighed the same, but made theirreal-life amounts of power, obviously the mustang would win. On the flip side, if both cars made the same amounts of power, but kept their real-life weights, the civic would walk away from the stang.

Now, let's get back to reality:
2002 Mustang GT: 260hp @ 5250rpm, 302 ft/lbs @ 4000rpm, 3257 lbs
2002 Civic LX: 115hp @ 6100rpm, 110 ft/lbs @ 4500rpm, 2553 lbs

That's a 704 lb difference. That's not a wholehell of a lot, especially when you look at the 145hp and 192ft/lbs difference. So, as we already knew, a stock Mustang GT will walk away from a stock civic LX. Now let's throw in a turbo to the equation (with the same 4.6l v8 stang). Now, I know it's not the right engine, so the numbers won't be accurate, but this is convenient for me: I'm going to use SovXietday'sdyno sheets from his "Turbo VS Supercharger; My Experiences" post:

2002 Mustang GT: 260hp @ 5250rpm, 302 ft/lbs @ 4000rpm, 3257 lbs
2002 Civic LX: 209hp @ 7100rpm, 167ft/lbs @ 6800rpm, 2603lbs (I'm adding 50lbs for the turbo, intercooler, piping, etc.)

That's still a 51hp and 135ft/lbs difference. True, there's still a 654 lb difference (a little over half a second in 1/4 mile terms), but there's still the power difference. Honestly, I think a (massively) turbo'd civic vs. a stock Mustang GT would be a fairly close race.

So with a stock mustang and a turbo'd civic, the Mustang would probably still win. But what about if the Mustang was supercharged? Well, then it's no contest; the Civic wouldn't have a chance.

I'm sorry to say it, but if both cars are modded, the stang will walk away from the civic. Sure, you have the weight advantage, but it's not enough of a difference to give the civic any real advantage.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:17 PM
HCF Member

wow reaper nice look up man but ur forgeting one thing man........... the driver!! all that mumbo jumbo might be true butitsthe car drives theway its told to drive.im not sayinghe has a chance of beating the mustdang but if hes willing to pushhis ride a little closer to the red line then the mustdangand knows how to drive thecivic rightthen race might come a a little closer than just how it lookson stats. and as for civic burns all i give uprops for trying tobeat a mustdanggt and showing those rich F.~ U.~C.~ K.~S. whats up.you might not beat them bro but im sure if u come close they have some more repectfor 4 cyliders.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
HCF Member

Yea its def possible to beat stangs with 410 horse it can be done. I kno many kids in my town, most with gsr swaps, that beat stangs left and rigth. I beat a 5.0 5speed convertable stang m in myB18C1 Hatch, the kid is preatty much and idiot. But off the line and in 1/4 mile times its def possible to beat some stangs. Idk how many but def some.
thats just my 2 cents (im sure someone is goin to have challenge wat i say though)

Old 07-29-2007, 06:57 PM
HCF Member

well, i went to the ford site and built my own 2007 mustang coupe gt premium with a lot of upgrades that i would want and the price came out to 32225. it is a 300hp v8

then i went to the honda site and built my own 2007 civic si coupe again with a lot of upgrades that i would want and the price came out to 27373. it is a 197hp i4

i couldn't find any specs on the ford site, so i don't even know how much torque it has or how much more it weighs compared to the civic. but with about a five grand difference, you can purchase a really nice turbo system that can up the power to 300hp pretty easily i think, since a lot if not most turbos increase about 50% to 100% of hp.

so to me, i'd much rather spend that 32225 to make a really good civic than to have a stock mustang. of course, this is comparing the two cars in price, not in mod with mod as you first mentioned.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

mustangs = power

civics = no power

life is tough.
hahahah so true but yet so harsh.... but like everyone said you have a good chance if you mod it the right way.....mustangs have somewhat of horsepower cause they weigh soooooo much....but a civic weigh like nothing soo you dont need that much horsepower..thats when it get into horsepower/weight ratio....im pretty sure it can be done......if you ahve the money which some of us dont.....DARN THOSE RICH *****!!!!

Old 07-29-2007, 10:05 PM
HCF Member

i beat gt's left and right..get an h22 swap..you'll have fun with it =)

Old 07-29-2007, 10:25 PM
HCF Member

Ford's are crap though, I mean sure a mustang may be pretty fast, but expect to have it in the shop many times more than a civic.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 PM
HCF Member

Yeah for real ^^^ FORD A.K.A. Found On Road Dead, For Owner Read Directions, ****ed Over Ruined Disaster, Fix Or Repair Daily, ****in Ol' Rebuilt Dodge, ****er Only Rolls Downhill,
Fancy Oil Recycling Device , Found On Rubbish Dump, First On Recall Day, ****ed On Race Day, First On Rust and Deterioration, Frequently Overhauled Rarely Driven, Fast Only Rolling Downhill

hahahah...yess im ready to get bashed by some rednecks!!

Old 07-30-2007, 01:38 AM

Eh, most mustangs really aren't that fast, but then again, you drive an 02 LX, so they'd be pretty fast to you.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:13 AM

i bet ud beat dem on the twisty stuff.

Afew backroads and a rolling start and ud have 'em. Point to point racing as its known ere.

maybe coilover suspension mods and a big fat set of rubber is all you would need.

Quick Reply: What are really the chance of a Mod Civic beating a mod mustang?