General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

what's better vtec or no vtec.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Exclamation what's better vtec or no vtec.

Ok well im trying to join the honda family by starting off by getting myself a civic ....I've done my shopping and it seems that a 7th generation civic is the right car for me.. But my big delema is I have this guy selling me a honda civic lx sedan nice car for 4000 dollars its an 01 ....but that trim has no vtec should I wait and look for a civic with a vtec or take the dive into this car and began my project .....maybe there's a kit to make an civic a vtech help me out guys....does vtech really make that big of a diffrence

Last edited by jonyroket; 01-03-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:57 PM
HCF Member

Well, it really depends on what you want. Vtec will give you a little more power and better accel. But, when its engaged(at a certain RPM) it burns up more fuel. So, if you want the car as a daily driver then non vtec is fine but if you plan on putting some money into it then you should go vtec.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Angry Admin

DONT GO SEVENTH GEN /story the engines suck more dick than a tranny ***** in san francisco.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Well what exactly are you looking for? What plans do you have for it? Generally, vtec is a nice thing to have, but it's not necessary; it provides more power up-top, and generally vtec engines can safely rev higher. You can swap the head to convert a non-vtec to a vtec, but there's no kit for it (you have to piece it together), and it's not exactly cheap. Also, the d17 offered in 7th gen civics isn't exactly the best motor to mod; actually, I'd rate it among the worst. You can, of course, swap in a better motor (legally, the only motor you can swap in would be a K-series, which isn't cheap), but you're talking a few thousand dollars there. To make power with the d17, you're going to need to turbo it.

Welcome to the forums, btw

Old 01-03-2009, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

vtec motor are good if you are going NA, and non vtec are good for FI due to tuning is easier when their is no vtec for a good fuel map but to each thier own.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Angry Admin

get a good tuner and vtec isnt a problem

Old 01-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Default =)

Originally Posted by jprommel
get a good tuner and vtec isnt a problem
thanks dude i think im going to buy the civic and try to tune it up as much as i can

Old 01-03-2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Well what exactly are you looking for? What plans do you have for it? Generally, vtec is a nice thing to have, but it's not necessary; it provides more power up-top, and generally vtec engines can safely rev higher. You can swap the head to convert a non-vtec to a vtec, but there's no kit for it (you have to piece it together), and it's not exactly cheap. Also, the d17 offered in 7th gen civics isn't exactly the best motor to mod; actually, I'd rate it among the worst. You can, of course, swap in a better motor (legally, the only motor you can swap in would be a K-series, which isn't cheap), but you're talking a few thousand dollars there. To make power with the d17, you're going to need to turbo it.

Welcome to the forums, btw
well what im going to use it for is an everyday car but still a street machine i want to be able to drive it to work everyday and still take it to the track and race it .......even on the street against fellow civics ...but i dont want this deal to pass me =) the only things is the vtec but you say a cam change can be done so i dont see a problem

Old 01-03-2009, 11:26 PM
HCF Member

^ Its a little bit more then a cam change. You have to change the entire head and ecu. And i dont think its very common to do a mini me swap on that peticular engine.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Default oh =)

Originally Posted by Beretta
^ Its a little bit more then a cam change. You have to change the entire head and ecu. And i dont think its very common to do a mini me swap on that peticular engine.

i see i see well this is going to be my first honda finally landed a good job and can start on my very first project car see i want to get my hands dirty first before i move on to my dream car a RSX hahahah i think it being my first car will be good for me just so i can learn the ropes i have big plans for my civic ....but youve been the most help thanks dude so much

Quick Reply: what's better vtec or no vtec.