General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Default What's it worth?

First off I know little about Honda's, I'm an old Volvo kinda guy (2.3 redblock, RWD [sm=smiley20.gif]).

My daughter has a 95 Civic EX Automatic, and I think it's time for her to cut her losses and sell it.
The chassis has 108K on it, the engine 106K. The engine was replaced last year after the original blew a HG and warped the head beyond repair. It's the same 1.6 (1.5?) Vtec as the original.

Well, it happened again. It was never quite right after the engine replacement (shop did it) even though Water pump, T-stat, belts, etc. were all replaced. A friend of hers wired the E-fan to run at all times and I had replaced the radiator, after the engine swap.

The car was covered and not used all winter. My daughter is coming home soon and last week I started to get the car in shape for her and discovered the leak from the Water Pump, so back to the shop it went (new shop). Today after replacing the T-stat and Water pump they told me a new HG was needed.
Overall the car is in nice condition, interior is near mint, body is solid with the excepton of each of the rear fenders there is a small patch of rustbubbling under the paint. No dents or major dings.

So should she/I dump more $$ into this car or sell it needing a new headgasket?

I know without seeing it or even pics it's hard to guesstimate, but what do you guys think would be a fair price for both scenarios?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Default RE: What's it worth?

It'd probably be worth it to replace the head gasket, especially considering the car is in pretty good condition otherwise. I would do it myself though to save $$$. It's not that expensive to fix on your own, and you can use a Chilton's manual or something to help you.

EDIT: and I would use a D16Y8 (96-00 EX) head gasket. It will fit the same, but the head gasket is made of metal, so it'll probably hold up better.