General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Which will get better fuel mileage???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 AM
HCF Member
Default Which will get better fuel mileage???

Im looking at getting my first civic to be my daily driver. I want to get around 30 mph or better. Im looking at 2 cars. The first 1 is a 93 honda civic hatchback vx with a b18 ls motor and trans swap done to it. Other than that it is all stock. The other car is a 97 honda civic ex sohc vtec. Both are 5 speeds. Will there be a big difference in fuel mileage between the 2 cars? Also will one have more power than the other or are they pretty equal. I know i drove a hatch with a b18 and the car felt like it had good torque and power. Ive never driven a sohc vtec though so i dont know how to compare. Do they both get about the same fuel mileage. Also is 1 stronger or better acceleration than the other. Please help. Thanks in advance

Old 12-16-2009, 08:42 AM

The second one is going to be better. Probably more reliable also.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:23 AM
HCF Member

Ok can you tell me why you think the 2nd car is better than the first? Im looking for reasons from people that are familiar with both. My main concern is that the civic ex vtec is very slow and weak. If someone here has driven both and doesnt think there is much difference, let me know. If there isnt much difference ill go for the ex.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by boostnm3
Ok can you tell me why you think the 2nd car is better than the first? Im looking for reasons from people that are familiar with both.
Smaller, newer engine is almost certainly going to give you better mileage. Check the ratings for mileage on the integra vs the EX (I know there is a weight difference, so don't forget about that). According to msn:

Integra: 25/31, 2700 lbs
Civic: 29/35, 2500 lbs

Seems pretty obvious, doesn't it?

Originally Posted by boostnm3
My main concern is that the civic ex vtec is very slow and weak. If someone here has driven both and doesnt think there is much difference, let me know. If there isnt much difference ill go for the ex.
It's plenty quick enough to get you around reliably. The other one will be faster, yes, but not by enough of a margin to justify it. You have no idea how reliable a swapped engine car is going to be before you buy it.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 AM
HCF Member

i def agree that 97 would be a much better choice because i bet the guy that did the swap prob beamed the **** out of that car

Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Buying a modified car always makes you wonder why the guy was so keen to sell it.

If it's properly set up and driven conservatively though you may be able to get 30 highway mpg in the modified 93. The stock 97 will have much better mileage.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 AM
HCF Member

Thanks for the answers so far.

As far as the weight a 93 civic vx hatch weighs in at 2150 or so compared to the ex 2500. Thats quite a bit difference there also with a bit bigger motor so you wouldnt have to rev it as much. The guy just did the swap in the hatch. He had a wrecked integra and civic that needed motor so used the 2 to make 1 car. Im kind of leaning towards it because of the power difference and price, but not sure.

Hatch $2800 150k miles
Civic EX $3500 163k miles

Any more imput after the information

Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 PM
HCF Member

Keep in mind, your B18 needs higher grade fuel. Premium baby. Runs like ish with regular. My old 99Si < b16> got 25ish MPG < highway and city mix >.

SOHC will get you better fuel, but who cares? I'd rather pay less and get the B18 HATCH over an EX anyday. Hatch = sexy. =P

As with any honda you buy from someone, make sure you take a good, long test drive. If you have a mechanic, now would be the time to have him look it over. Never buy a car without having someone look at it with you.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:57 PM
HCF Member

the SOHC will definatly get better MPG, the B18 WILL have more power, but will be finicky, the SOHC should be an extremely reliable engine, im at 326,000 on mine, and its still going good.

Quick Reply: Which will get better fuel mileage???