General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Winter Beater civic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:05 PM
HCF Member
Default Winter Beater civic?

I was thinking of buying an auto tranny civic for my winter car and outfitting it with some nice winter tires and a remote start system. My question is: how are the automatic transmission civics say in the year 1995 or around there +-a year? I really want an auto for my winter car, I enjoy stic, but it would be nice to just sit and relax on the way home from worc on a cold day, lol. What else would you guys or what do you use for winter vehicles? Its gotta be reliable.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Winter Beater civic?

FORD TEMPO FTW!!! theyr a dime a dozen, and theyr good winter beaters. I had one forthe last 2 winters, and theyr awsome in saskatchewan winters. I only got stuck once eachwinter. Even with the auto trans theyr good. Just make sure the tires have some tread on em. And boy can those things take a hit. Even if u get in a accident those things are hard to break.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

interesting, I do see alot of tempos around, and masson, I live in Alberta, im right next door to saskatchewanso ill trust you now the winters im talking about, so the winters here are pretty tough sometimes too. I will look around for temposon autotrader and when i find a decent one, ill check it out. Thanks

Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 PM

the autos are just fine, esp if ur only gena be driving it around for winter and maybe a beater during the rest of the year. winter tires on stock steelies would be great. u want a thin footprint so a stock size tire would prolly be best. Dunlop Winter Sport M3s are good and cheap snow/ice tires. blankets, first aid kit, all that jazz in trunk wouldnt be a bad idea lol.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

yeah ill get some good tires, all find out more about the ones you listed, and I have a millwoods honda (where my car was bought) winter suitcase full of all that good stuff that will definitely be going in the car. lol this car is gonna be pimped for winter!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:10 PM
HCF Member

also this way I can get the shocs and springs put on this winter to lower my hatch, and it will also allow me to drive the auto around in the spring or summer when i finally get a swap into the hatch!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 AM
HCF Member

i have a 95 civic with auto trans. i live in idaho falls, id .. and my car does better in the snow and icethan my bro's bronco. plus, it seems to run A LOT better in the cold temps. as long as you let her warm up a couple mins, it'll do great.
all season tires would also be fine and you wont have to change em. last winter i had regular tires from so cal and i had no problems.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:27 PM

well technically any 6 cilynders would do better on winters than a 4 cilynder. Tempos, toyotas, are common in ontario. The worst ones are jettas or golf they seem to have many electrical problems

Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
HCF Member

haha vee dubs. lol those crazy germans...

make sure u dont spend over 700$ on a tempo if u find one. lol i forgot to mention that. anything over 700 if VERY overpriced...
and not necessarily will a v6 do better than a I4. a mustang v6 will do ****ty in winter when a corolla would do good. or even a v8 truck would do ****ty if its only rwd. if you're looking for a winter car get fwd b/c there is more weight over the front tires and it gives you better traction. if you dont wanna spend a lot on a winter car even an old awd suby would do...

Old 09-25-2007, 05:01 PM
HCF Member

vee dubs rules the world xD

I never had a problem with my golf! But it's true that lots of them have electrical problems.. but mine seems fine. I've already donne almost 30 000Kms since I have it and no problems at all..

Quick Reply: Winter Beater civic?