General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Worn Tires On 2008 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Default Worn Tires On 2008 Civic

We just had to replace the two rear tires on our 2008 Civic. We took the worn tires to dealership and they said they were going to take photos of tires and send to Honda Canada to see if any other Civic owners have run into this problem. The tires did not quite have 20000 kilometers (12,000 miles)on them. The dealership said they would contact us in 3 or 4 days to let us know how they would fix the problem. Sounds to me like the rear wheels are out of alignment. I am hoping Honda will help pay for the replacement tires as the car is still under warranty. Anyone else heard of this type of problem on 2008 Civics?

Old 08-12-2008, 04:19 AM
HCF Member

i just got a 08 Si last week. my car pulls to the right. took it back had them do an alignment, and still pulls to the right.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:39 AM
Stinky Administrator

i had a 07 civic sedan and had the rear tires get rough riding they have a tsb on usa civic's for to much negative camber. call your dealer back and let them know that
The new TSB from Honda to repair the neg. camber of the rear end is:

TSB 08-001

Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

^what he said. I had the same problem

Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 08CCSI
i just got a 08 Si last week. my car pulls to the right. took it back had them do an alignment, and still pulls to the right.
my damn civic does the same thing...but what the hell...

Old 08-31-2008, 10:42 AM
HCF Member

Yup, my 07 wears faster in the rear. No one knows why!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Default Me too!

Originally Posted by yukondsl
We just had to replace the two rear tires on our 2008 Civic. We took the worn tires to dealership and they said they were going to take photos of tires and send to Honda Canada to see if any other Civic owners have run into this problem. The tires did not quite have 20000 kilometers (12,000 miles)on them. The dealership said they would contact us in 3 or 4 days to let us know how they would fix the problem. Sounds to me like the rear wheels are out of alignment. I am hoping Honda will help pay for the replacement tires as the car is still under warranty. Anyone else heard of this type of problem on 2008 Civics?
Did Honda Canada cover your problem? I have exactly the same thing with my 2008 Civic. It showed up around 19000 KM and I took it in at 20000. Looked to me like the rear alignment was off. The dealership was skeptical, but I took it to an independent alignment shop to prove where it was at, and yes, it was way out of spec. Honda then did a full afternoon warranty assessment (without realigning the damned thing) and told me neither the alignment or the worn tires would be covered by warranty. Looks to me like just another example of warranties not being worth the paper their written on. I voiced my complaint back to Honda Canada's Service Opinion website, but we all know that won't get me anywhere.

The service manager at the dealership admitted that there is an issue with the 06 and 07 Civics rear alignment, but that it is not an issue with the 2008 models. Ya, right!

An interesting aside... The maintenance minder is requiring a tire rotation with every service, usually about a 9-10000 KM cycle. To me this sounds reasonable, but due to time constraints I skipped the first rotation. On reflection, for other Honda owners that got their tires rotated with the first service, it may be masking an alignment problem that will likely not show up until 30-40000 km, at which time there's no way Honda would cover it. If you have a Civic thats been rotating the tires, might want to take a peek and see if all 4 are worn on the outside edges. Mine were worn on the outside due to excessive toe-in according to the alignment shop that checked it.

cheers, Dave

Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 AM

We have a 2008 civic ex and the tires are wearing just like your cars. The dealer needs a kick in the butt to fix this since it appears to be a defect. Could be the tires or something in the suspension. In my opinion, it is the problem that causes the tire wear so they should replace the tires too. Maybe we need to contact the state about this. seems this is the only way to get some attention.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:20 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 08CCSI
Have you checked the air pressure in the tires? If the RF tire is 3PSI or more lower then the LF, the car will pull to the right. Also roads are slighly sloped to the right for the rain to runoff, so the crown of the road may be causing this. One other possible cause is what is referred to as "radial pull". Take the car back to the dealer and have them "cross-rotate" the front tires (put the left front on the right front and the right front on the left front). This will either get rid of the pull OR the car will pull to the left. If the car pulls to the left afterwards, the LF tire is defective, and should be replaced under the tire manufacturers' warranty. Usually in this case the tire is "prorated" based on the tread you have already used. You just purchased the car, so the tread probably isn't worn enough yet, in which case the replacement tire will be free or almost free.

Last edited by TheJGB3; 09-17-2008 at 03:26 AM.