HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   HCF Project Section (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/hcf-project-section-63/)
-   -   Addiction2bass's Repair and Upgrade Project Civic 96DX (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/hcf-project-section-63/addiction2basss-repair-upgrade-project-civic-96dx-68018/)

jpnolan 07-29-2008 05:39 PM

RE: another project civic 96DX repair pics Pg 4, 7-29-08

wtf i need a garage that size.

addiction2bass 07-29-2008 06:15 PM

RE: another project civic 96DX repair pics Pg 4, 7-29-08

LOL ya its a big shop. thats just the back door area. ;)
my dad just pulled out his suburban and my old impala and pulled there big @ss motor home into the shop.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...truts011-2.jpg

so far plans are just REPAIR right now get the body all nice, just sheet metal right now, paint later on.
so far my only plans for upgrading the car is the 99-00 front end of course.
and a short shifter i would really lik e. infact i never knew how good a short shifter felt until i didnt have a short shifter.LOL
i would also li ke to upgrade front speakers and of course put some bass in the trunk. most li kely ill slap my beat up looking typeR subs in it.
power door locks of course with a alarm/remove starter system. YES for a manual ;) i had one on my old EG and never had any problem! i have a habit so im good to go.

other than those minor things nothing much at this time... but lik e anything ideas change.LOL but i have been doing better with my money/credit cards lately. i could have bought all the parts i need and put them on credit cards BUT if i do that im gonna be back indebt paying interest out the @ss for awhile and im trying not to. so far i only owe about 1K total which is alot better than my old 3K bucks i owed ;)

addiction2bass 07-30-2008 05:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
its getting there. today i test fitted the radiator support alittle had to bend it around alittle since it got bent up during shipping :( ups may have delivered it fast but they threw it around alittle to fast! :(

and mostly i cleaned the hell outta the engine bay!!!!! and who would have guessed.... its silver under all that crap. LMFAO
tho i forgot to take a BEFORE picture. but heres what the drivers side looked like. total black!
Attachment 25892

now shes all purty ;)

Attachment 25893
Attachment 25894

and just test fitted the new radiator support.
i would have painted it today BUT i forgot to find out the paint code on this car before i went out. so i only bought some weld thru primer and painted it at least.... have to pick up some matching paint for it next.
so tomorrow ill prime and paint the radiator support and let it dry overnight before i drill holes and weld it in place.

its getting there... i just need to order more parts...

addiction2bass 07-30-2008 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 25891

trustdestruction 07-30-2008 05:32 PM

looks like it's coming along nicely

danomatic93 07-30-2008 07:25 PM

I love it, I love it. Keep it up!!

Sigracer10 07-30-2008 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by addiction2bass (Post 578277)

I like the socket hanging off the passenger side of the core support, you should definetely leave it there!

ShaTownCivic 07-30-2008 08:38 PM

^Ya that would be a nice look

addiction2bass 07-31-2008 01:41 AM

the wrench was only there because i was just test fiting the support ;)

i want to paint it first before i weld it in solid.

baker 07-31-2008 05:52 AM

i saw that on ebay and sooooo almost bought it. gl with it.

addiction2bass 07-31-2008 12:32 PM

you better not have.LOL
my max bid was 812.99bucks ;) and i bid in the last like 30seconds ;) i like to snipe bid like that to try and save some cash..... LOL

and well i fell into temptation alittle right now... i bought the front bumper cover, bumper foam piece, and both fenders. so only thing i need now is a new hood latch and MAYBE hood hinges. i might not need the hinges im not sure yet i think id be able to just bend them back if they are bent any. they seem tight enough to be fine.
and of course a new hood!

then today i found out i cannt find any new paint cans for my cars paint code :(
Vogue Silver Metallic Clearcoat NH-583M
ive looked at all local autoparts store and no one even has touch up paint let alone 5oz paint cans. :( so looks like im just gonna paint the radiator support silver the closest i could find for now. and i guess later on when i do finaly order brand new paint and a good paint gun ill just touch up the radiator support where needed.

hopefully my fenders will come undamaged and i can just bolt them up and run the car 2tone for awhile till i can buy the new paint and a paint gun. ;)
also asked a cop today when i got off work and he said to his knowledge there is no indiana law that says i need anything more than a bumper front and rear. no fenders or hood needed. so HELL YA IM GONNA ROCK THIS SUCKER without them.LMFAO its gonna look bad driving around town.LOL

addiction2bass 07-31-2008 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok well just got done painting the support and impact bar. as close as i could find in paint. the silver isnt quite right of course so when i do get the paint for the whole car ill just tape off the top of the radiator support and take the headlights out to paint the top to match perfectly. other than that no one should be able to tell the shade is slightly off. ;)

Attachment 25846

so tomorrow night ill drill the holes in the appropriate spots and weld the sucker in good, grind the weld spots down and touch in the paint around those points. i gotta buy more paint tho. and when i go back to pepboys im gonna complain my @ss off to them!!!!
all 3 cans of paint i bought from them ALL OF THEM DID NOT HAVE THE SPRAYERS!!!!
ya i was pissed when i poped the cap off to find no paint tips! luckely i save my old ones so i had some at least!
and i think when i get the fenders/bumper cover im just gonna primer them and use primer sealer. it wont look as bad as black front end on a silver car ;) just a temp. i thought paint wouldnt cost so much but i did a quick quote at the paint store when i was buying the weldthru primer and they said like 250-300bucks for a gallon of paint, ruffly 100bucks for the clear coat, then the activators extra again. plus a paint gun. well looks like id be spending quite a bit of cash at once! :(
ive thought about cheaping out and changing the color but i think if i change it to much it would just be a pain to do all the jams and such. and i dont want it to look bad!

ej6buddy 07-31-2008 02:28 PM

just remember, you bought the car for 700, don't let the repairs become too overwhelming (i.e. new spray gun, paint, etc.) i'd just get a nice macco job if you do the body work.

addiction2bass 07-31-2008 03:07 PM

true... BUT the new paint gun will be used repeatly. plus macco paint jobs well are HIT OR MISS... all depends on the guy with the gun in his hands! im not a big fan of paint runs or clear coat runs or even overspray :(

paint gun will last typicaly at least 5 full paint jobs. at least the ones ive used in the past. and i do need a new one. old one is to clogged up to do any good!
i can cut alittle cost by only getting like 3quarts of paint and clear and such. but i do like having extra paint for any future problems or modifications. best part about the extra is having the perfect match for future work!

but either way its still cheaper than buying a good or already fixed civic ;)

WellFedHobo 07-31-2008 06:34 PM

Dang, that's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it done.

ej6buddy 07-31-2008 06:43 PM

yeah, i know, been there, done that, just as a reminder though.

Sigracer10 07-31-2008 07:15 PM

dang I've never heard of a gun needing to be replaced after just 5 jobs. My brother in law has been using the same gun for a lot more cars than that and hasn't had to get replacement yet.

ej6buddy 07-31-2008 07:19 PM

it's called maintenance, some people do it, some don't, that's why he could only use it for 5 times.

p.s. they have a built in text spell and grammar check utility (sweet)

ShaTownCivic 07-31-2008 07:28 PM

I can't wait til its finished.

addiction2bass 08-01-2008 01:27 AM

well the gun my dad bought like 10years ago was supposedly just a disposable gun. mainly because it has plastic internal parts. plastic container on top. plastic sprayer on the inside. its not as good as a full metal sprayer. also wasn't as expnsive. pretty much just a cheap gravity feed gun i tried to keep that gun clean but it doesn't take much to clog up one of those little holes to throw the spray pattern off and for it to be crap! :(

addiction2bass 08-01-2008 07:29 PM

7 Attachment(s)
ok well another day alittle more work done. radiator support welded in solid, impact bar bolted up, headlights bolted up, radiator bolted in.
only thing i really need to do now is flush the radiator really good and then fill the system properly with some honda fluids.
and then just get liscence plates for it! i was gonna get the liscence plates today BUT the guy i bought the car from didnt sign the sellers info on the title so i had to wait for the guy to respond back to me about his name and position and dealer number, and by the time he responded the liscence branch was closed :(
pretty odd when i got my insurance on the car they said the vin was a error or something on there computer system, i went home and checked the actual vin numbers all over the car and they did match. no idea why they came up with a error when running the vin! maybe because its a canadian vehicle..

i should get my hood latch, foam bumper absorber, fenders and front bumper cover next week.
fenders and hood says i should get them monday. not sure about the foam bumper part. but i also need the passenger bumper holder piece not sure what its called.LOL
i gotta run some part numbers! :( but so far should be street legal AS-IS tomorrow.LOL

Attachment 25823
Attachment 25824
Attachment 25825
Attachment 25826
Attachment 25827
Attachment 25828
Attachment 25829

tho those headlights suck..... ill have to buy new headlights eventualy... o well they work but just dont look to good.

WellFedHobo 08-01-2008 08:19 PM

It's nice to see progress so quickly. Looking good!

And, IMO, those headlights look fine. But, I think they would look better on your black Civic? Either way, I'd drive with them on my car.

trustdestruction 08-01-2008 08:33 PM

lookin good

addiction2bass 08-02-2008 06:41 AM

another project civic 96DX repair pics Pg 7, 8-02-08 on the road again.

ya well from a distance they look fine.LOL up close they do not have the same clear cover or printing on the clear cover, the passenger one has like a towel imprint from when i baked them apart to paint them.LOL and i didnt really seal them back together much at all just poped back in oven and cramped them back together to hold the best i could.... ill probably buy some ones that are painted black already and then swap the headlights off my 99.

but anyways as-is i should be able to drive it on the road.LOL i just need plates for it now.

WellFedHobo 08-02-2008 04:28 PM

I wish I had that kind of money laying around. Project cars are great fun.

addiction2bass 08-02-2008 04:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok well i took a short break this morning and went and got plates for it, flushed the radiator fluid alittle more and refilled the system with honda antifreeze. i did afew more small things like some zip ties on the front splash shields and zip tied a old front foam bumper impact bar just for added safety touch ;)

checked the tires and took it for a drive ;) took it down some country roads and then on the interstate, so far so good only thing that bugs me is door pillar damage, at least AS-IS since the rubber seal does not sit evenly on the pillar it has some wind noise. nothing major. just alittle noise im sure i could silence it with alittle silicone or some extra weatherstriping. but right now its not that big of a deal.
and so far the muffler isnt to bad.... tho i do need to seal that rear exaust leak thats infront of the muffler. i may keep the turd on the car maybe not to sure yet have to drive with it more....

at least its road worth now. drives straight so might not even need a alignment but after i have the majority of the body parts on the car i will get a alignment on the car just to be sure not to wear the tires out to fast....
i dont want to get it aligned yet since the weight could be enough to throw it off alittle.

only problem is really the top O2 sensor wires came loose after i pressure washed the engine bay alot. so tomorrow im gonna go to radio shack and buy some wire acid cleaner or what not and try to get the wires clean enough to take solder and then some heat shrink on them after im sure they are stuck good again!
but at least the motor still runs good with the CEL light on ;)

and yes i get some funny looks. LMFAO

Attachment 25800
Attachment 25801
Attachment 25802

once i get the fenders monday it should make it look ALOT more tolerable to look at ;) tho i wont put the bumper cover on till tuesday when i get the right foam bumper thing, and i still need to find some bumper brackets for a 99-00 civic. tho i may have to order new part for it as well :( have to go 2 some local junk yards and hope they have a 99-00coupe! with a good front end. im pretty sure the bumper cover bars shouldnt be to desirable parts.LOL

addiction2bass 08-02-2008 04:33 PM

Its the ultimate weight reduction. Lmfao

i cannt wait to drive this thing to work and see what people say about it.LOL most likely they will page over the intercom "will the owner of a silver honda please report to security." LOL maybe i should get a laugh for myself and be like WTF who stole my front end off my car.LMFAO

tho next thing to check on the car is the brakes. they dont seem to strong to me BUT then again it is a DX so brakes arent that large on the front. but i still need to check them out.

ej6buddy 08-02-2008 04:48 PM

yeah, dx brakes suck donkey nuts unless you convert everything to an ex/si system.

addiction2bass 08-02-2008 04:51 PM

ya i think i might have to look into how to upgrade them..... now i asume its just rotors and calipers from a EX w/abs.... might have to keep an eye out for some after i pay for a hood for the car.LOL

ej6buddy 08-02-2008 04:53 PM

rotors, calipers, knuckle, booster

addiction2bass 08-02-2008 05:20 PM

o dang new knuckles as well. ok well no upgrade for awhile then unless i can find a parts at a junk yard near me cheap enough.
looks like ill just get some good pads then for now.

addiction2bass 08-04-2008 05:39 PM

7 Attachment(s)
ok well another day of more progress....
today i got my fender/bumper, primered and sealed them. got them instaled. mostly at least.... im still waiting on the foam bumper backing. and to replace the passenger side top bumper hanger and the middle top grill clips.... right now i just have it pretty much zip tied ;)

looks a hell of alot better BUT it still needs a hood for the updated front end to be complete :(
i think ill have enough at the end of the week.
my neighbor gave me a adress of a body parts place that sells cheap new parts so im hoping i can get a hood even cheaper since i wont have to pay for shiping charges. SO I HOPE i can get it cheaper!!!!!!!

i also swaped out the canadian cluster with a spare EX cluster i had laying around BUT the gas gauge needle is busted (i bought it that way) trying to find a cheap EX manual cluster to get the temp/gas gauge section from.
i also had to remove the ABS modual and put it in the new EX cluster pretty simple there. luckely i had a spare cluster guts that happened to have ABS cut out as well so the full swap wasnt to tuff.

Attachment 25736
Attachment 25737

Attachment 25738
Attachment 25739

Attachment 25740
Attachment 25741
Attachment 25742

so far so good!

primer looks better than black on a silver car ;)
i thought about painting it a silver that is close to matching BUT i said screw it! it wouldnt match anyways!!!!

Sigracer10 08-04-2008 07:14 PM

dang man you're making a ton of progress on this thing and you're doin it really fast.

I can't believe it already looks as good as it does. So far everything looks like its coming out great

WellFedHobo 08-04-2008 08:22 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about! Nice progress!

addiction2bass 08-07-2008 05:56 PM

well today i just ordered the hood from same ebay guy. if the place ships like they have been doing HOPEFULLY ill get the hood monday. if he shipped it out today then hopefully id have it tomorrow BUT i didn't order it till about 4pm so most likely it wont go out till tomorrow. :(

but needless to say its coming along. i got my hood latch yesterday and already have it on the car. just have to get the hood and then adjust the latch and HOPEFULLY my hood hinges will be OK! they look and feel good, so hopefully if anything i just have to take them off and bend them around a little.

and well i have been thinking of painting the primered parts in silver so its a closer match. still thinking about it. its not really needed but wouldn't be as noticeable for others..

i might just start primering the whole car since alot of the cars trim panels have bad paint..... mainly the skirts and side molding. and eventualy id have to fix some minor dings and light hail damage.

addiction2bass 08-12-2008 02:08 PM

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! i got the hood today ruffly 1-2hours ago now. just got done primer and sealing it. now i just need to let it dry a little more and then im gonna bolt it up on the car! i was so happy to see that big @ss truck pull up and drop off my hood! they shipped that sucker freight. i checked it out and signed for it and instantly took it out to prep for primer it ;)

hopefully in about an hour or less ill post up pictures with it installed on the car!

addiction2bass 08-12-2008 05:07 PM

7 Attachment(s)
ok the important post with pictures.
so far so good! i will tweak the alignment a little more before i actually paint it but for now its pretty close. the drivers side lined up great no problems!!! but the passenger side/wrecked side does need a little tweaking. it had to have slightly tweaked the metal a little from the impact BUT not to worry. looks like mostly cosmetics. next week ill get a alignment done and be sure the car drives straight and true, as well as get the wheels balanced since they have had a little vibration.

i also need to but new headlights and a lower hood seal that runs along the front bottom of the hood to close that gap.
ok enough chat heres the pics.

Attachment 25508
Attachment 25509
Attachment 25510

Attachment 25511
Attachment 25512

Attachment 25513
Attachment 25514

just needs minor tweaking... i didnt want to go much tweaking until i got all the parts on the car. so tomorrow ill do some more tweaking on the front end to do the best i can. its close but just not perfect. but i am still missing the front bumper bracket brace on the passenger side, headlight seal on the passenger side is missing and the front hood weatherstriping isnt there. i have the 96seal but im not sure if it will fit or not. i havent tried yet since i need to clean it first due to all the mess on it.

Guitardude_15 08-12-2008 05:39 PM

the cars lookin good, Im amazed how quickly your gettin it all done, if you dont mind me asking how much cash have you put into it, cuz it seems like a sick deal.

addiction2bass 08-12-2008 06:14 PM

so far ive spent $645.58 on the new body parts and radiator. so total spent on the car ive got about 1,400bucks in the car total. the car books 3,500bucks just in FAIR condition... excellent condition says $4,400. private party value... suggested retail says $5,500

so either way im WAY AHEAD in the total cost even as is...
i plan to spend another 150-200bucks to get the AC system working again. ruffly
140bucks for new timing belt/ other belts/ and water pump. since its about that time on the cluster.

150-200bucks on window tint ;)
100bucks for a new clutch setup just for the hell of it...
100bucks for 99-00 taillights.
maybe 50bucks for a new center audio console since mines busted up a little. or might just modify mine myself for a custom console setup.
ruffly 200bucks for new alarm/remote starter system.
ruffly 500bucks for new paint for the whole car along with all the body work ill be fixing myself which is cheap bondo and sandpaper....

and needless to say after all of that the car will be in excellent condition and will need very little!!!

but right now mainly i just want the AC fixed and timing belt stuff replaced and thats really all the car probably needs.
ive thought about heavy modifying the car which i still might.... maybe ill continue my old project ideas from my old civic like my suicide doors id love to do!!!!! should be extremly simple to do seeing how they are DX doors.LOL

thisisoriginal 08-12-2008 06:29 PM

looks like fantastic project! I havent even been logged on here in awile..so what happened to the EG?