HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

b18 anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
HCF Member
Talking b18 anyone??

so im picking up a scattered, and not so complete b18b1 for 150 bucks this week to tinker with. its already been mostly disassembled. it's missing the crank... lame i know... but it does give me the oppourtunity to upgrade the whole rotating assembly! yay!

that's about as far as i know... that and its gunna be n/a! hahahah! yea go from a y8 n/a to an ls n/a... whoohoo right!? hahah... well we'll see. funds are better this time and its not my first rodio this time so im expecting much better, MUCH FASTER (as in time frame, not 0-60), than my last little minime!

im really open to suggestions on what to do here! im thinking itb's if i can find a good price on a set. but between an si head and a gsr head, undecided.

the bottom end is out of a 97 teg.
going to be using obd1 because a standalone is out of the budget for right now.
aiming for mid 11:1 compression.
and i want it to rev to the sky and back in as short of a time span as possible, throttle responce?? lol so i know im going to be using a well balanced, lightweight bottom end.

and then theres the chassis... lol i've got no clue what i want to use. an ef would be sweet or an eg. del sol's are light as sh*t too though!!

god idk, im gunna have to construct my thoughts after getting some input from friends, ect ect. hit me up! gimme advice!!! almost any help will be good help!
~newb

Old 07-19-2012, 02:24 AM
HCF Member

is anyone out there using the f series oil injectors in a b series??

new and improved shopping list:

b16a2 head
shotpeening the rods
bumping my compression goals up to 11.5:1
e85!!! woohoo!!!
polished gsr crank
acl bearings
arp rod bolts and head bolts
brian crower cams, dual valve springs, and retainers
deffinitly going itb's and eventually im going to tap a spot for direct port n2o... xD

but yea im going to be picking everything up this weekend and start disassembling and cleaning so get ready for some b series ****!!! lol

Old 07-19-2012, 05:51 AM

What are you doing for tuning? I always like to hear about this type of stuff

Anymore info on the shell this might go in?

I dont have any info on F series oil squirters in a B series. Are they bigger or something?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 AM
HCF Member

he's talking about using f-series squirters because b18a/b's dont have oil squirters at all, amirite?

OP, I would get some real rods and not just shotpeen your old ones. If you're gonna drop all this cash in this engine, it sure would be a tragedy to lose it all to a bent rod. just my .02

cool build. I say stick it in a CRX on good coilovers, big brakes and call it a track car.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 PM
HCF Member

Del sol's are heavy, put it in an ef or eg hatch.

Don't put in oil squirters. There's a reason people block em off, blocking them raises oil pressure.

Shot peening rods is plenty for just straight n/a, the rods aren't under the same stress as a boosted. The most important part are the rod bolts, #1 failure point.

As for the head, b16/b18c5 head has my vote. I like them better than gsr heads, both have their advantages and disadvantages. But in an n/a situation I say b16. To no go lsv would be a waste. Even then, an lsv doesn't even make that much sense to me anymore. I used to want to build one, but a gsr is just better. Can rev higher with a better rod stroke. Gsr block + b16 head = poormans type r, solid engine.

Make sure when you get a new crank you check clearances, best bet is to have the block line bored. Not the matching crank means the clearances could be all over the board.

Invest in a quality header to get the exhaust out, not a eBay header. N/a power comes out of efficiency. So get some big cams, port and polished head, and a good TUNE.

Trans will also make or break the speed of the car... B16 trannys are awesome for daily driven n/a cars. Gsr is a little longer gearing, stretches out 2nd some and 3rd a lot but still works well. Do not get an ls trans.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM
HCF Member

hey guys thanks for all the feed back! im excited too!!

as for tuning, im going either s200 or s300... im thinking 200 because i dont think ill need all the goodies that a 300 will have but at the same time i think theyre coming out with an s300j?? sometype of replacement in march or something so im thinking of getting the 300 regardless. the actual platform for the ecu, im not sure, p28? ive been out of the honda game for a while lol.
as far as trans, a b16 was what i was thinking but i might use a od out of an ls or something, try and save the mpgs on the freeway yo! lol (its just gunna be a huge jump from 4th to 5th while trapping.... maybe ill get a slightly longer 4th for a better transition... well i have to account for atleast 10k rpm too hahahah!!!!)

well, the block is going to be ls, which i know has a shorter deck height than a gsr, but the plan was to fill the block with gsr crank and rods and use either b16, p2m (i think dont quote me, i just woke up checking emails before school! xP) and get into the high 11's low 12 to 1 cp ratio.

deff going brian crower cams, dual wound valve springs, retainers, and ferrera valves.
ITB's baby! haha you never see them on hondas... well atleast anything but k series engines!!! and they sound so good!!

im also thinking e85 so im gunna need serious injectors and upgraded rubber hoses to stainless.

direct port nitrous would be fun too eventually!!

im leaving my mind as chassis free as possible for now. lol that way when the right crx or ef or eg hatch or coupe comes along for the right price i can jump on it!!!

(thanks for the advice on the oil squirters btw!) i guess ill get a good windage tray then huh!? lol

and i do appretiate the advice everyone, but my username is contradicting... i know my way around a micrometer and dial gauge set. lol

well i got set back a bit this weekend (never throwing that big of a party again! lol) but im still on schedule to pick up the scattered bits of ls this week!
hopefully the mains and cylinder walls arent in too bad of shape! minimal machine work on the block, maximum on the head! lol

Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 PM

Post pics. I am tired of reading

S200 is pretty much obsolete at this point. S300 is MUCH better for the fact of real time editing. Meaning you make a change on the ECU, and while the car is running, adjusts are made. No stopping, changing, uploading, then turning the car on again to re-test.

You don't see ITBs too often on many cars since they are not practical. Yes, they make power, but at a price of comfort (IAC deletes etc). Have fun trying to start it up in the winter if you live in a cold area. Also, the air the ITBs draw is basically ambient temperatures all the time. Good, yes. But if climates change in your area, you will be looking to re-tune... or at least load a new tune for each season if you have them saved onto your PC!

I would love ITBs for my car, but they are not cheap for H22's. :/

Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 PM
HCF Member

wow. ok so im totally ditching the itb setup. skunk2 im it is! lol
ill post pics on sunday when i pick up my dudes 2jzs and the rest of the ls goodies.

this projects going to take a minute. so be patient. no blueballs for honda-****!!! lol

Last edited by Newbie2000ex; 07-23-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 PM
HCF Member

edit:i.e.

2 different methods. spent a buttload and get a bada$$ kit for alotta $$ that has a good iac porting and map sensor location built in. eek!!

or hook up and adjust and try different iac adjustments and resistor possibilities untill the signal is correct to use a cruise control sort adjustment to use the throttle plate to adjust idle at different temps. basicly a linear actuator using iac signal on the throttle plate.

at this point though 1 tb sounds nice! lol

Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 PM
HCF Member

TWM ITB, individual throttle bodies Honda / Acura

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/home/throttl...ody-kit-ckha01

ok. itbs are on! idgad. its goin down.

now should i go the extra mile and say forget the s300 and go standalone? yea prolly..

Last edited by Newbie2000ex; 07-24-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: b18 anyone??