HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

BarcaAg11's '95 Civic DX project

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Default BarcaAg11's '95 Civic DX project

OK so I figured I would start a thread for my car. I'm going to preface this with a story of this car and the problems associated with it. It is going to be in three phases of hilarious stories.

The first phase is about the purchase. My junior year of college, my parents decided to purchase me a car... on a budget, and I thought I would find the coolest car with good gas mileage I could on Craig's List (bad idea number one), enter cool lowered Honda Civic with great mileage and rims (scratched up)

Second phase is the entrance of all of the issues. Lets list them...
1. Sun roof is sealed off and the motor has been disconnected, on top of that, when it pours, it leaks (or as my old roommate says "it pees on you")
2. AC doesn't work
3. AC condenser is zip tied to the frame
4. One bolt on a wheel was rusted on and had to be cut off
5. Driver's side window arm had to be replaced
6. Driver's side lock does not always work because somebody tried to break into it (before I owned it), has to be "jiggled"
7. Stereo system didn't work completely
8. Headlights point pretty much only 10 ft in front of car
9. (After owning it a while) Brake light switch gets stuck and brake lights stay on (draining the battery during inconvenient times)
10. Shocks are either shot, or shouldn't be on the shorter springs, either way the ride is pretty rough
11. Original tires were nearly bald (NOT fun to drive on during long drives in huge surprise storms)
12. Came with no rear view mirror
13. after getting rear view mirror (off eBay... bad choice), the mirror fell and took a chunk of windshield with it... thus the windshield had to be replaced.
14. Arm on manual driver's side mirror broke

Third phase: Fixing it up.
Bracketed the AC Condenser to the frame instead of zip tie (still need to purchase correct bracket)
Got a new stereo system for Christmas, I'll update what the system is tomorrow. From my memory, I'm pretty sure it is Sony xPLOD deck, 5 1/2's in front and 6X9's in the back
Removed the sun roof motor (sorta helped with the sun roof peeing problem, but not completely)
New wheels with new bolts (ones pictured below)
Tinted the windows (since AC doesn't work and summer/Springs/Fall in Texas was unbearable with no garage)
Purchased (non-matching) driver's side mirror
Replaced driver's side window arm.

And now, I have my own job and can actually start fixing it up!!
First thing I have gotten to really fix up is replacing the intake filter!

And here are pictures!

Previous intake filter

Exhaust connected in the middle (I'm assuming this doesn't do anything for my engine?)

Alarm system (sometimes works, annoyed my mother who last took it to mechanic and had a cable cut, have to reconnect it since I'm not in a small town Texas anymore...)

Cardboard placed to keep the brake lights from staying on

Broken driver's side lock

AC electical mess

Missing cap from AC pipe....

Home-made bracket... made it too long, needs to be replaced

Front-side springs and struts

Post-new filter. Opted to stay cheapish for now and get a Spectre for now until I start putting more performance parts into it.

Running list of things I plan on changing and updating
-Tokico Blues and (not sure yet) new springs
-New front bumper (may get a new body kit)
-Fix paint issues (maybe new paint job)
-Fix AC issues
-Fix rattling
-Sub woofer and amp
-replace tint in back window
-replace sun roof
-replace driver and passenger seats (more comfortable!!!)
-get windshield washer going
-clean engine bay
-replace review mirror
-upgrade spark plugs and wires (if needed)
-If appropriate, upgrade rest of exhaust system

As I go forward, I'm sure I'm going to start dreaming bigger, but I'm going to start small and then work my way up! This is my first car, first car I'm working on, and really I am learning as I go. All and any help is appreciated, I will most definitely do as much research on my own, but if any of y'all have input I really appreciate it.