HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Cvcrcr's project/fix-up thread (version 1.1)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Finished the A/C block off on Friday.

Name:  052412-ACBlockoff1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  052412-ACBlockoff2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  052412-ACBlockoff3.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  63.2 KB

Finished the diversion panel, too. Came out pretty good IMO.

Name:  052512-Diversionpaneldone2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  50.0 KB

Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

Looks damn good. Are you using any sort of clear coat? I read about a spray can clear coat people were using on HT that did a good job of protecting from UV rays that fade the stickers.

Also, you should consider bombing the strut bar, I think it would look good.

Your bay is really coming together, man!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 AM

Strut bar bombing sounds good.. Maybe if just only one part of it. I will think about it.

The clear coat is a good idea. Never thought of that.

I need to make a decision of either spending up to $200 in spray cans for white paint, or spending $350 for the car kit (with gun) by tonight! haha I keep going back and forth on it.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 AM
HCF Member

Depends on where you wanna go. I would say the kit because of the gun; you can reuse it.
And maybe in the future you wanna spray another color or retouch you can just get the paint for the gun and do it.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Xevic
Depends on where you wanna go. I would say the kit because of the gun; you can reuse it.
And maybe in the future you wanna spray another color or retouch you can just get the paint for the gun and do it.
true but you could also just buy another single spray can and save 150$ -_-

Old 05-29-2012, 01:33 PM

Ok, we need a debate here.

Let's weigh the pros and cons of:

Buying the Kit.
Pros
- Faster
- Probably will look better
- Re-usable
- Complete kit
- Will not need to buy extra paint (kit comes with 3 gallons)
- I can feel baller and charge friends to do their cars (HAHA)
- Might be able to use the gun for other things to paint

Cons
- More money
- Will be stretching the amount of available car funds when buying a new hood/fender

Buying spray cans
Pros
- Cheaper
- Leaves money available for a new hood/fender

Cons
- Probably will not look as good
- Will take a lot longer to finish
- Will still need to buy all the little things
- Might need to buy more paint (guessing 20 cans) = waiting for shipping etc

Can anyone add to these lists?

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 05-29-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
HCF Member

First off, if you do buy clear coat, there is a certain kind you have to buy. One kind will make the ink on the stickers run, the other won't. I can't remember what kind it was... but I'm sure you'll be able to find it on the internetz somewhere.

Secondly, as far as the debate goes, I'll just say this: I'm not so sure there will be a quality difference between the two options. This stuff is NOT like regular paint and I think that rattle-canning with it will be a lot more forgiving than regular spray paint. Just a thought.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

I like the sticker bomb! Just clear coat the **** out of it, those paper stickers will get soggy nasty real fast.

I say just spend the extra money and get the whole kit for the paint. It'll turn out so much better and save your spray finger. Tht or look for the gun seperate used on eBay, I'm sure someone sprayed their car and has no use for it anymore.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Yea, I should have realized I should have clear coated it before. I didn't think of the rain being a problem. It was raining like crazy last night. Oh well I guess. Live and learn. They are just stickers at least.

Scott, I tried looking for a used gun that they are recommending but couldn't find anything on eBay. Oh and my finger would be saved from the spray gun trigger attachment thingy I bought awhile ago for like $2. haha. Shandles, you are probably right about the forgiveness of this stuff compared to actual paint. My wheels came out great and I am horrible with paint.

Regardless, everything I can do money wise needs to be ordered by the end of next week. Everything needs to be done with the car for the most part by the last week of June. I am moving again and the new place will probably not want me working on my car as much as I do (apartments most likely ).

List for the upcoming weeks.

1. Flush all fluids
2. Paint car and clear coat the sticker bombs
3. Clean everything as best as possible
4. Re-do interior panels/headliner/gauges (probably not going to happen and can wait)
5. Oil cooler set-up (not 100% sure if I need it yet)

So really, I need to make a d@mn decision on the paint and buy it, buy fluids (brakes/clutch, oil, trans), and just start cleaning and getting ready to go.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 05-30-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 PM

Scott, you suck even harder now. If it weren't for you posting that video link, I would not have just spent the $350 on the kit. haha.

Yes, I took the plunge and bought the large car kit in white. Since I did that, I will not have enough money for a new hood right now. I will still need a new driver side fender, but I know I can find one for cheap. When I can spend the $75 on a new hood, I will have left over paint to use as well. I just need to start getting everything ready for the paint!

Quick Reply: Cvcrcr's project/fix-up thread (version 1.1)