HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Cvcrcr's project/fix-up thread (version 1.1)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sigracer10
awsomeness. any estimate on horsepower?
Just guessing by what I have felt at the moment, I would say about 160-180 whp. Hopefully, I will be able to schedule some dyno time soon in order to see exactly. Remember, I also have the Crower stage 2 Camshaft and the upgraded springs/retainers, that's why I am guessing 160-180 whp. Regardless, it has been raining all day today, I took the car out and couldn't get traction throughout 1st, 2nd, and 1/2 way through 3rd (I am still riding on 14'' steelies with 185/50(I think)/R14's, so they aren't the best). It's a totally different feel than from what I am used to.

Originally Posted by rc2904
I always assumed a SC was more expensive or more work since everybody seems to go for turbo. Let me know how much power you end up with in case I want one someday
Well, I got a pretty decent deal for my set-up. I paid $650 for the SC and all the accesories. I ended up spending $80 on new oil/filter/tranny fluid/coolant/coolant line/vacuum hose. I spent $90 for the valves, and $82 for the Cometic head gasket. I normally see D16 JRSCs go for around $900.

Cost really depends on how much HP you want in the end. You can spend $100-$170 on a smaller turbo, keep stock injectors and boost no more than 5-6 lbs and be fine. Or you can buy a bigger turbo for $400-$700 and then have to upgrade all other essential components (which is what I was basically doing).

Turbos usually yield more hp than SC's that's probably a big reason why there are more turbo projects.

On a side note, I seem to have developed a small oil leak coming from my oil pan it seems. I'm planning on getting under the car tonight and figuring out where it is coming from. Also, I received the AEM dryflow filter, AEM bypass filter, fuel pressure gauge, and bumper plugs. All but the fuel pressure gauge will probably be installed tonight.

I'll post an updated pic of my engine bay once I'm done tonight.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 10-15-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:19 AM

No pics yet, I was busy all night trying to find this oil leak I have.

I did install the aem bypass, aem dryflow filter and bumper plugs last night, so some work was completed.

I have to cut and extend a few wires, and mess with some vacuum hoses today. Hopefully, it'll look a lot cleaner when I'm done! (Instead of having vacuum tubing and wires just laying around)

Old 10-16-2009, 07:40 AM
HCF Member

what r bumper plugs?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:49 AM
HCF Member

They are plugs that cover the license plate holes.... for people who don't wanna just close them off for cleanness xD

Old 10-16-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by NIKE H34D
They are plugs that cover the license plate holes.... for people who don't wanna just close them off for cleanness xD
huh??? For people who don't wanna close them off? That's what you do with bumper plugs, close off the holes. They aren't too big of a deal, but I'll end up snapping a pic of them tonight.

And what's up with the giant rawr? lol j/w

Old 10-16-2009, 01:16 PM
HCF Member

LMAO it really made me laugh... and i meant dont wanna close them off for good as in sanding them down and closing holes hehe... plugs still leave two big bumps there....

In simpler terms..... for people who dont wanna shave the holes

Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 PM
HCF Member

lol ok

Old 10-16-2009, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by NIKE H34D
LMAO it really made me laugh... and i meant dont wanna close them off for good as in sanding them down and closing holes hehe... plugs still leave two big bumps there....

In simpler terms..... for people who dont wanna shave the holes
Well, I also have a bumper that's not OEM. If I shaved off the section for the bumper holes, I would have even bigger holes in the bumper since there is nothing there. I would love to have them shaved, but can't at the moment.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

umm fiberglass over them then paint the fiberglass
reaper did it on his eg
he still has the pics (most likely)

Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 PM

I wish I could do body work all like that. I have never messed with fiberglass before. These bumper plugs will most likely be a temporary thing.

I have been looking through my data-logs for the first 2 tuning session I had with my friend, and noticed that the MAP sensor is not reading boost at the TB. I ended up hooking it up to the IM directly, drove around a little, and it read 7.3 psi at around 5500rpms. Fixed!

Driving around today, got onto the highway (rt 202), did a third gear pull and my driver side wiper arm/blade almost flew off the car! lol I guess it just wasn't tight enough.

Also, just got done putting the oil pan back on to fix my oil leak issue. I ended up removing it, and using honda-bond as my new oil pan gasket since the current one leaked. Hopefully, this will solve that issue. I am taking a pic for you all to show you how everything looks at the moment, but I'm too tired to upload it. Pics tomorrow morning.

Quick Reply: Cvcrcr's project/fix-up thread (version 1.1)