HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

My first block build

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:36 PM
HCF Member
Default My first block build

Well my boosted b16 had a few piston rings take a dump and now its time for a rebuild. I figure if Im going to tear the thing apart I might as well shell out the cash and build it to make a little more power. Ive always wanted to build a block for some extra security and a little extra boost but I really wasnt planning on doing it this soon. Im making my first purchase tomorrow, its a 1994 geo metro that will be my beater carwhile mySi is under the knife. The geowill eventually be turboed until it blows up followed by a built and boostedls motor that will make that thing a rocket. Anyways,I will be doing the following modifications to my car over the next 2 months.

Tuner toys rods
srp or cp pistons 9.0:1 cr 81mm bore
arp headstuds
mls headgasket

My current turbo setup includes a greddy 18g turbo, greddylog manifold, greddy downpipe, custom made piping w/ spearco intercooler, greddy type-s bov, tuner toys 440cc injectors, p28 ecu tuned with crome. Theturbo setup will be getting:
bigger (750cc) injectors
test pipe to replace the stock cat
2.5" downpipe to replace the 2" greddy downpipe
new oil pan with a better tap
boost controller (not sure what kind yet)

I will start buying parts in the next couple days Ive already got the headgasket, the headstuds will probably be next. I willmost likelywait till I can afford to get retuned before buying the 750cc injectors. Im hoping to make around 250whp on10 psi daily and 300whp on15psi once built. I will be taking pics of everything as it comes in andcarnage pics of the motor getting torn apart to document this exciting build. Any suggestions on anything are more than welcome. I will be having the help of a somewhatexperienced engine builder and motor swapper along the way so I should be in good hands but Im sure I'll have questions for the experts on here from time to time. This weekend we should really start tearing things apart so there should be some good updates come sunday night.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:16 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: My first block build

Despite the lack of interest in this thread I will continue to documentthe progress in my build. Well, plans have changed, hopefully for the good. I ended up getting an offer on the meat of my current turbo setup that I couldnt refuse. Now I have more than enough money to finish the build and when the time comes for boost I should have made enough money to buy a whole new (better) turbo setup.

My beater geo metro is in the driveway now and will be going under the knife tomorrow for a new headgasket so I'll finally have something to drive. Heresa pic of the milkycarnage of oil and coolant mixed together.
Name:  IMG_1800.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  22.8 KB

This is what $350 will buy ya these days!
Name:  IMG_1795.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  50.5 KB

Heres some pics of the engine removal process. The really great fun part of the build!
Name:  IMG_1811.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  115.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1812.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  146.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1813.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  124.5 KB

And just for fun, the difference in sizebetween my b16 valve cover and the hilariously pathetic g13 valve cover from "the metro".
Name:  IMG_1810.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  122.7 KB

I have a questions for my fellow HCF members: What color should be the theme color for my engine bay (valve cover, fuel rail, vac lines, etc.)? Keep in mind the car ismilano red and colors like orange and yellow will look terrible. My buddy has access to powder coating and paint in just about any color amaginable and will be doing some pieces for me as soon as I decide what color to go with. I'll post pics of everything once its painted I just need some good suggestions from you guys. Some pics of ideas wouldnt hurt either. I will be buying internals over the next week or two and I'll keep you guys posted as parts come in.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:27 PM
HCF Member

Hey man, Im watching this thread. looks good, looking forward to more pics. Not sure on the colour, maybe a blue? Black and red go together, but a black engine is boring.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 AM
HCF Member

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread too. That picture with the oil/coolant mixture is great and horrible at the same time. If I ever see any liquid close to that, I'll know at least one problem

Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 AM
HCF Member

First 8 vlave head Iv ever seen...looks slow haha.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:46 AM
HCF Member

I also am watching the thread, as far as color I'd try to keep it stockish looking, maybe a red valve cover and a nice polished intake manifold or something.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Cat Fuсker

I would do darkmetallic blue for everything...

Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

nice geo, go for the turbo lol that should be fun to see

Old 07-02-2007, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

Yeah the geo is a 1.3 ltr making a whopping 70 hp! Its quite slow.
I am kinda thinking about a shade of blue in the engine bay. I dont want things to look ricey and cluttered I just want to maintain a nice color theme throughout the engine bay. I did a little ghetto paintbrush madel to help get an idea of what Im thinking. Wastegate, BOV, valve cover and maybe spark plug wires and vac lines will be blue andIm pretty set on a metallic gunmetal color for the charge pipes which is the same color as my wheels. Let me know what you guys think.
Sorry about the wierd size of the pic.
Name:  enginebay.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  32.0 KB

Old 07-02-2007, 06:18 PM
HCF Member

lol, nice drawing, i couldnt do much better lol, but ur intake looks like a ***** lol, loojks pretty clean, but i would think u would have more vac hoses, and may want to get a vac manifold

Quick Reply: My first block build