HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   HCF Project Section (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/hcf-project-section-63/)
-   -   Reaper's Mustang Project (abridged version) (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/hcf-project-section-63/reapers-mustang-project-abridged-version-71078/)

Justin13 02-05-2009 11:47 AM

HPF turbo M3 are insane. they sound amazing too

reaper2022 02-05-2009 12:33 PM

Not yet, Last time I talked to him he was waiting on a call from his aunt. From my understanding, he has an inheritance of something like $150k, but he can't touch it until he's 25, but he can borrow money from his aunt.

And yes, turbo m3's in general are insane :D

Aaron_EX 02-05-2009 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 96 Civic DX (Post 622504)
HPF turbo M3 are insane. they sound amazing too

psh there slow i run them in my auto non vtec single cam all day long.

reaper2022 02-06-2009 03:31 PM

All right, Jaydon still hasn't talked to his aunt; I'm now fairly sure he's more or less all talk. That being the case, I'll probably end up keeping the mustang. Actually, I've been thinking about it for the last few days, and selling the mustang for a 240 isn't the wisest idea anyway; I'd be trading a relatively new, relatively low-mileage (65k) mustang with a few quirks, but otherwise in perfect condition for a high-mileage 20-year old car that's most likely to have problems. The 240 would probably be more fun to drive, but I'm unsure about the reliability.

And also, John, Marcus... I know I'm indecisive. Honestly, it gets tiresome hearing about it constantly, so don't bother saying anything about it.

Anyway, I'll probably end up finishing the project to some degree; I probably won't do everything I had planned, but we'll see. To be honest, I'm actually starting to get a little attached to the stang (it's about effin' time lol), and I'm not sure I want to part with it for a while. Maybe if I keep it long enough, it just might see that m112 blower and independent rear suspension swap I had planned on doing originally. Anyway, I've noticed a squeak coming from the front suspension when the wheel is turned or I hit a bump, and I'm thinking it's probably the front left ball joint (I'm going to read up a little to be sure before I just throw parts at the car). Also, since I replaced the front right shock after getting hit, I'm probably going to replace the front left one soon just to even things out. I figure since I already need an alignment, I'll probably just end up cutting the springs when I replace the strut/ball joint since the suspension will be apart anyway. Afterwards, I'll get it aligned, and after that (later this spring) I'll replace the brake rotors (which are warped as h**l anyway) and probably do the Windstar upper intake mani swap.

*ninja edit: also, sort of project related... I did perhaps the smallest mod I've ever done to any car. I pulled the center caps off the stock wheels. Since it's dark, I won't have pictures until tomorrow, but I was looking at pictures on the internet and I came across a lowered red new edge stang with the stock wheels/no centercaps, and to be honest, it looked so bada** it isn't funny. I'll see if I can find that picture and post it here. It's basically the stance I want my mustang to have when I lower it.

*edit: found the picture :D

https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j...a/CIMG0293.jpg

jpnolan 02-06-2009 03:50 PM

good choice, I really do like the mustang. are those just your stock alloys without center caps? because I think they look better like that than with center caps.

addiction2bass 02-06-2009 03:55 PM

LOL.... i didnt say a think ;)

im just so happy its tax time. today was a dam good day for me!
1 its payday from work.
2 tax refund check was deposited
3 sold my 17inch rims today (ya i know i miss them already BUT ive decided to downgrade rim size and EVENTUALY get some oem SI 15inch wheels.
4 FINALLY got my tono cover for my truck

needless to say im happy i got some money in the bank... for now.LOL i get to order my flip out dvd radio for my truck just as soon as my credit card payment goes thru to try and help my credit a bit.

reaper2022 02-06-2009 04:05 PM

Lucky, I wish I filed for my returns with direct deposit; it'll probably be april or may before I see my tax return (which just puts me on a tight budget until I get it... college sucks). But the EM1 wheels should look sick.

And john, the picture isn't actually my car; but they're the same wheels (stock 01-04 v6 wheels minus the centercaps). When I saw the picture, my jaw dropped; I didn't realize just how aggressive the stock wheels could look lol. I'll have a picture of mine up sunday; I just realized I don't have my transfer card for my phone's memory card, and my digital camera is in my apartment, and I won't be there again until sunday afternoon. But rest assured, I'll have pics.

Also, regarding the project, I decided if I'm going to replace the ball joints, why not just upgrade while I'm at it? So I plan on getting Steeda X2 ball joints. They're taller than the stock ball joints, so they help retain what little suspension geometry mustangs actually have when you lower it. When I order the ball joints, I'll order an exhaust hangar kit, and re-hang my exhaust (and tuck the mufflers a little). Hopefully it'll cure the annoying rattle my exhaust has developed, so hopefully I can get a few things (ball joints, replace the strut, cut the springs, and re-hang the exhaust) done in one sitting... after that, it'll be time for an alignment; I'll hopefully get my tint done sometime this spring, and then the project will have to take a little hiatus until I get my tax return (when I'll most likely do the intake mani swap, rear seat delete, shift/e-brake boots & armrest covers, and I'll probably throw on a new set of tires).

jpnolan 02-06-2009 11:16 PM

Ya it looks really nice, I love the front lip. Super clean, and damn that sucks about lowering it sounds like its a ton of work :( love the stang you should black out the windows imo.

reaper2022 02-07-2009 07:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay, today has been pretty nice so far (50*), so I figured I might as well give the mustang a little TLC. I used my parents' digi camera (since mine's in my apartment) and snapped a few quick pics of the car without the centercaps. Anyway, here they are:

Attachment 22283

Attachment 22284

Attachment 22285

Attachment 22286

And for anyone wondering what the "X" is on my fender... :D
Attachment 22287
That's right... f**king Hello Kitty band-aids... they fix everything :D

Anyway, as far as the lowering, it shouldn't be too much work. The suspension on this car is ridiculously simple to tear down... the ball joint replacement is going to be the biggest PITA. For the windows, I'm probably going to do 20% tint... it's dark enough that you can't really see into the car from 10' away, but it's light enough that I don't think I'll get hassled for it too much. The car attracts a lot of unwanted attention as it is, I don't need limo tint to attract even more attention lol.

I'm thinking if I get bored today, I might go out with a hair dryer and peel off the mustang vinyl on the doors... the cars look a lot cleaner without it anyway. If I do it, yeah... you guys will get pics :D

*edit: also, when it gets warmer I'm going to strip down the wheels and refinish them; if you didn't notice, look back up at the pictures; there's a lot of corrosion where the centercaps go, so I plan on sanding it all down. I'm trying to decide between three colors. I can either just refinish them in silver, I can do them in flat black (and, unfortunately, look like I'm running steelies), or I can do them in bronze. I'm leaning towards the bronze, but I'm going to do a few quick photoshops to see how the colors would look.

jprommel 02-07-2009 08:26 AM

Bronze dad!