HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Want to put 700hp into a 98 ex.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Default Want to put 700hp into a 98 ex.....

Hey, so I'm new on this forum and this is my first post. I have 98 ex coupe that I'm interested in putting a lot of money into... I saw this youtube video of a sweet 700hp civic, but they didn't say what the mods were. I don't know much about cars, but I do know that I would want to put a 3.2 liter V6 into it, as I hear that's the biggest that will fit, and a big *** turbocharger or supercharger; maybe even twins if they'll fit. But that's about all I know.. So I'm wondering, what all could I do to make my civic as fast as possible like the one in this video (which is down below at the bottom of this post), and how much would it cost? (roughly).... lets assume I have an infinite budget.

Thanks

Dan

VIDEO:

Old 07-15-2013, 07:14 AM

Project section is not necessarily meant for questions like this. However, you can turn it into a project thread by posting up some pictures and let us know what else you want to do with the car. Sounds like you need to do a lot more research. After watching the video, it is a boost K series motor.

A v6 isn't the biggest motor you can install. Anything is possible with enough money. I have seen LS v8 swaps in Civics.

To do this (700's), you will pretty much need to upgrade everything. Sleeved motor, the works. If I had to guess, you are looking at like 50K at least. Waste of money to pour that much into a Civic IMO. But that's just me. Good luck with the build.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 07-15-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM

Is the 50k just for materials alone, or is that with cost of labor included? Because I'm thinking about going to mechanic school, so I might end up doing it all myself. Also, is there another section of the forum that I should repost this in to get more responses? Thanks

Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Not really, this is a slower forum compared to most others. Honda-tech.com has a wealth of information, too.

No clue on prices. That was just a random guess. Sleeving the motor and all that must be done at a machine shop, not something you can do yourself. If you don't know what you are doing, it is best to go to a shop before the investment is flushed down the toilet.

You are going to need to do a lot of research. I can guarantee that.... especially if you are doing this yourself.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the replies man, I appreciate it.. I'm wondering if you can be generous enough to take the time answer one more question though... lets assume my budget is 20K (without labor; lets assume I'm doing this all myself)... can you tell me what my best route would be in terms of what to do to the car to make it as fast as possible while staying within 20K? Again I appreciate the help a lot.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 AM

Skip the V6, go with a Kseries motor. When done properly, the swap itself will end up costing you at least 8k. Figure another 2k for tires/wheels/suspension.

If you want to turbo the K series, budget another 5k for parts, tuning, labor, dyno time.

You would be best off figuring out how much power you want and go from there. Sorry, but 700whp is unrealistic... you will start having traction issues around 350 whp in a FWD car like this. Shoot for 400whp and I am sure you will be happy with that. A stock K20 should be able to handle that sort of power without the need to be sleeved. Buy parts and do the labor once. If you want turbo, don't waste money on a stock clutch.. replace it with something like a competition clutch stage 3-4 (go by CC's suggestions for power etc) before the motor goes in. Don't waste money on a header if you plan on going turbo since it will be replace with the manifold and turbo.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 07-16-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 AM

Thanks so much for the help man. Considering the feather light weight of civics I'm sure 350 - 400 whp will be more than enough for me. I saw you mentioned labor in there though... Are you coming up with these numbers under the assumption that I'll be having all this done by a shop? Do you think it's possible for someone like myself with no mechanical experience to learn how to do all of this just from researching on the internet? I'm pretty smart and good with my hands.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Labor meaning tuning, or any custom exhaust work.. I do not recommend you doing the tuning yourself.

Bolting everything together should be easy enough for you to do, especially if you are willing to learn. Just take your time with it all. Understand that you will not see 50% of the money you toss into this car if you try to sell it later. A built Civic is still just a Civic. As long as you understand this, go have yourself a ball.

Last thing to remember,
Cheap, reliable, fast. Pick two.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM

Sorry to bother you again, but I just have ONE last question.... are you saying I could learn how to swap the engine myself just by doing research online and reading books? Mind you I have no experience whatsoever with cars, I'm just a fast learner. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 AM

Yes... research K20 swaps. Contact Hybrid Racing Hybrid Racing - All things Hybrid Racing, Honda and Racing too.

Mounts, engine, axles, ecu, harness, radiator, hoses, exhaust work (to mate everything up) is just a quick list of parts you will need for the swap.

Quick Reply: Want to put 700hp into a 98 ex.....