Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

2" piping => 2.25", big sound different?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Default 2" piping => 2.25", big sound different?

I got my hi-flo cat from carsound today, my current piping size is 2" (civic 4dr 92 dx), is it worth to spend more money to upgrade to piping to 2.25"? The guy @ the muffler shop told me the other day, .25" bigger will not make a different to the sound, a hi-flo cat does make the car louder?

Old 02-13-2008, 05:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2" piping => 2.25", big sound different?

1/4" bigger will not be that much big of a difference, the mechanic was right. Getting an actaul high flow cat will change the sound a litlte bit, btu getting a test pipe or removing the cat altogether will make quite a difference in tone, usually for the worse. Resonator and muffler play a big role in the tone too. Remember: with exhaust you get what you pay for.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:44 PM

i got the oval muffler from magnaflow http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...VL._SS500_.jpg

That might be why i can't get the exhaust too loud

Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 PM
HCF Member

I got basically the exact same muffller (sans the humongous tip) and using it as my only method of quieting down my exhaust.
I have a header, no cat, 2.25" pipe and a14x8x5 Magnaflow muffler. Like expected of a new exhaust, it was brutally loud. Now that i have over 5k on the new exhaust it has quited down alot. it's deep and powerful at idle, but gets buzzy in the midrange. Still loud enough to set off car alarms, which i hate.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:01 PM
HCF Member

I have a header on my engine with it straightpiped all the way back, with a Thrush turbo muffler on the back. It was pretty loud but I put a downturn on it and it has quieted way down. That's always something to look at.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: tuongle

i got the oval muffler from magnaflow
I got the exact muffler on my Si. I got the Street Series. I love the way it sounds. My car also came with 2 inch pipping. I wasn't going to blow my Money for nothing Just to get an extra .25 on the pipe. It will just be a waste of money, You wont even noticed it. But yeah that is a great exhaust!!!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Civic Si 00

ORIGINAL: tuongle

i got the oval muffler from magnaflow
I got the exact muffler on my Si. I got the Street Series. I love the way it sounds. My car also came with 2 inch pipping. I wasn't going to blow my Money for nothing Just to get an extra .25 on the pipe. It will just be a waste of money, You wont even noticed it. But yeah that is a great exhaust!!!!!

dude, if you have some free time, can u post a video clip of the sound

Old 02-14-2008, 08:19 AM
HCF Member

i have the exact same car. i went from header, stock cat, 2.25 to megan racing muffler. loved it,cops didn't so, i put on an 18 inch resonator, smoothed it out more then it already was. and now, cops still didn't like it. so.. removed my tints and put on a stock honda muffler...so now it's hush hush and i can floor it at whatever time in the late night and no cops will surround me and put my on the floor cause i'm a 19 year old kid with a muffler on his civic.....

\\rant rant rant\\

sorry...

i like my hush, so basically i would love the sound and cop attention if it was worth it, example? an LS B18 swap,or B18C gsr, not worth being loud and going nowhere for my D15B7 [:'(]

Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 AM

my D15B7 [:'(]
yo, i got the exact same engine ) and do not feel any loud at all, all the muffler i got, i will eliminate any loudness )

Old 02-14-2008, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

true true, magnaflow right? nice choice bro. better put up some sound clips man lmao look at this one > <<< he's ghey!

Quick Reply: 2" piping => 2.25", big sound different?