Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

97 DX exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Default 97 DX exhaust

Ok so Im trying to go with the catback system for my 97 civic DX with a D16Y7 motor. I know the cat is in a wierd spot and the catback piping would have to be modified. If I buy EX headers, and get the catback system, where would my cat go then ? Im sorta confused on what to do because I really dont want to take my stuff to get welded and get charged for that. Because I want headers anyways also. thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Default RE: 97 DX exhaust

sorry for the double post, but would something like this fill that cat gap I am afraid of ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Heade...spagenameZWDVW

Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 PM
HCF Member

With the CX/DX/LX exhaust, if you get rid of the stock manifold, you get rid of the cat. But if you get a header and a catback designed for the EX (D16Y8) civics they should have the correct flanges to correctly mount together. if you need to keep it legal with a cat, just get a replacement one for the EX engines, be it OEM or high flow (magnaflow). I've done the LX to EX exhaust swap on my 97. I didn't know of al the hurdles when i started doing it, but it's working quite well now that i have the money to rework the cheap job i had to do on a lot of it. But i used to live in Labrador, where there is basically nothing around.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 AM

ok cool thanks for the help, instead of a headache with it Im probably just going to buy an axleback exhaust

Old 02-20-2008, 11:51 AM
HCF Member

Yes, that test pipe will be perfect for the gap. I'd just get the test-pipe/high-flow cat off ebay, get a nice Megan header or sometihgn. Dont wanna risk it IMO

Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Joe The Bird

ok cool thanks for the help, instead of a headache with it Im probably just going to buy an axleback exhaust
If you know what it entails, it isn't a headache at all. only reason it was one for me is because i bought the header, installed it and found out the exhaust doesn't match up.
Had to get a new exhaust fabbed up, so it delayed my cars road debutalot longer than i wanted to. As well as ate up more money than i anticipated. If i could go back with the knowledge i have now, it could have been done very easily.

The only real modification is to lengthen the O2 sensor wires for some applications. I did it myself and the brutally salty winters here rotteds the wires out pretty fast, so i bought an extension harness from DC motorsports.