Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

99 Civic EX PO420 and PO303 301 300 304 codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 01:06 PM
HCF Member

just depends on how much your budget is and how much your willing to deal with.

163 bucks shipped from ebay engine all the way back. it will fit but it wont be perfect and probably wont sound as good as you want right away atleast. the o2 sensor wire will probably have to be extended and moved forward to the optional port. that setup comes with a test pipe (cat delete) so you will still have a cel. that can be corrected later be either having a universal cat welded into the test pipe or putting on a correct cat. the exhaust will probably be loud and raspy but can be corrected later with a real muffler. it will flow a bit better but you pay for what you get. im running skunk2 alpha headers about 260 bucks. 100 bucks for my custom 2 1/2 magnaflow cat pipe. the cat back is tanabe medallion about 560. i was looking for a specific sound and best performance option so i paid for exactly what i wanted. for good quality headers are still going to hit you 150-250 so if your trying to get your car back on the road and are willing to spend a bit more as time goes that ebay kit wont be a bad option. if you want to spend more to jump straight to a sound you want check out YouTube with your car and different exhaust systems.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:57 AM

So that ebay engine dna kit you sent me is that only 167 dollars for everything shown in the ad? If that's the case I got that no prob. If so what else do you think I should get for it. I can spend from 300 to 450 +. I really appreciate your help with this matter. It would be cool to work on cars with ya. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

according to the ebay ad yes its everything included. buy new o2 sensors getting your old ones out will most likely break them or rip the threads off. once you get everything back on your car so your running again figure out if you like how it sounds or what you want to change. when the exhaust comes in measure its length and pipe od of the cat delete section and buy a universal cat of whatever brand you choose to fit. take that to an exhaust shop and have them mate the flanges to the cat with the given length. then put it together and decide what you want to change with the exhaust sound and we can go from there.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:04 PM
HCF Member

also unless your looking for more laughs than progress on a car paired with bouts of flying tool dodging i wouldn't want to work on a car with myself. i had to learn most of this stuff myself and i usually don't plan ahead for anything so i generally learn most of my lessons the hard way. cold beers and friends usually lightens the mood tho. i work on everything and anything with a combustion engine. sadly that also includes forklifts at work..... i hate working on forklifts.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:38 PM

Ok il get the kit ordered and let u know when I have it delivered. Then o2 sensors and cat. I'm still deciding on what kit to get tho.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

kits in that price range are honestly all the same. your looking for a complete engine back kit tho. the mufflers are all the same. the resonators are just a mini glass pack muffler. just buy the kit that is specific to your model or says 2dr and 4dr and you think it looks good. get your car up and running and go from there. i have dealt with a couple of these cheaper exhaust systems. the pipes are generally pretty decent but the mufflers and other things are extra cheap. those n1 big can mufflers are nice looking to some but those cheap ones shouldn't even be considered a muffler. i had to fix one once the main case had separated. i was suprised it didn't get louder so i was curious. it was literally just a glasspack style exhaust tip that was welded inside a big can.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:28 AM

What! Yea the muffler on mine is a enkei I just noticed that so your right about the exhaust system being boned and done once already. Probably for whatever reason they did this maybe they were getting the same problem and fixed it temporarily. But I got paid I'm taking my time finding a good kit like we said maybe I can afford a better manifold and exhaust kit. But in the end I just want the Civic to be drivable and the engine to preform like it should. Then from there I'm adding horsepower to it. What u think. This will fix the civics misfire and the 420 code ?

Old 09-11-2020, 04:59 AM
HCF Member

once you get a proper cat in thr system with no leaks p0420 should be clearable. the missfires are possibly unrelated but it could be a result of exhaust leak and a plugged cat messing up the first o2 sensor. the first o2 sensor is used for engine operation the second o2 is there just to monitor the cat.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:01 AM
HCF Member

have you replaced the ignition coil yet? it is a possibility. moisture under the cap can also burn off the center electrode also

Old 09-12-2020, 06:25 AM

I haven't changed the Ignition Coil yet. I'm going to do it and see how that affects the civic misfires. I'm also thinking of getting the exhaust work done by a shop I don't have everything I would need to fix a unforseen repair etc. Welding may have to take place. But if all the kit fits then I'll get the system off myself and replace it after.

Quick Reply: 99 Civic EX PO420 and PO303 301 300 304 codes