Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Advice on Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Default Advice on Parts

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to civics in general, kinda just been a motorcycle guy up until now, but I have a couple of questions if you all would be so kind as to throw some advice my way.

I have a 2000 EX D16Y8, completely stock, and I was curious as to whether new throttle body, intake manifold, and exhaust headers would be worth it. Before you answer though, keep in mind, I'm not looking specifically for horsepower gains or to throw on the top notch racing parts. I'm just looking at whether these upgrades would be an overall benefit. If I can get some hp out of em, cool, but that's not my end game.

So, pros and cons of these three upgrades. Thank you much!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 PM

If you are not looking for gains (even though bolt ons won't help much anyways), then what are you looking for? Yes, they will look nice, but they will not improve gas mileage or anything.

Header, no cons IMO, but yes you will gain about 1-3 hp from it. Not much

Bigger TB and Intake manifold will kill your throttle response down low, but will help way up top in the rpm band where the stock parts do not do as well.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 AM

I should have phrased it better, but what I am looking for is just if some of these parts would benefit the car overall, but you definitely answered my question.

Much appreciated.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:29 AM
HCF Member

I had the same engine in my Civic. D16y8. I added a CAI, Header, and Apexi WSII Catback exhaust and an Edelbrock TB. Loved all additions to the car. Like CVCRCR99 Said though, you lose throttle response low end with a throttle body, but the top end gains are great.

I posted a vid of my exhaust if you want to see: