Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

AEM CAI Replacement Filter

Old 07-29-2005, 11:30 AM
HCF Member
Default AEM CAI Replacement Filter

I've contacted several store about the AEM Replacement Filter for the CAI for my 95 Honda Civic, but I've heard that people have problems with it. So I'm thinking of replacing it with a K&N one. I did hear that AEM used to get their filters from K&N, but they stopped that a long time ago. First of all, is the AEM filter that bad? If it is, why? Is the K&N filter any better?
I did ask the stores what the dimensions are for the AEM filter so I could find the appropriate K&N replacement, but no one could tell me. Could you also help me with this one? The AEM part# for the filter is 21-101. Some sites did say it was 2.5"x5", but I don't know which measurements to cross-reference those for (Flange Inside Dia./Length, Top/Base Outside Dia., Length).
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Default RE: AEM CAI Replacement Filter

The replacement filter doesn't have to be the exact same dimensions. As long as it fits on the tube properly and in the space you have in the engine bay without touching anything. Therefore, it doesn't need to be the exact same shape either.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

whats wrong with buying something like THIS its cheaper and u will make the filter like new.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:56 PM
HCF Member

I know I could choose anything that would fit the pipe and the space, but I'd have to do a whole lot of measuring in the engine bay to get the right fit, and I'm not really good at that. Since I know some info about the dimensions of the AEM replacement, it'll save me time and effort if I just matched those dimensions.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:59 PM
HCF Member

whats wrong with buying something like THIS its cheaper and u will make the filter like new.
Good question. I posted my situation recently, and I was planning on recharging the old filter on my AEM CAI. However, sacicon noticed the filter in the picture wasn't OE from AEM and suggested I scrap the old one for an AEM replacement. So here I am asking you wonderful guys about AEM and K&N replacements.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

go K&N because the lovely people there sponser us

Old 07-29-2005, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

I am pretty sure they still use K&N filters. Recharging it would be the way to go, but if you must replace it... The 2.5" is most definitely the inlet diameter and the 5" has got to be the length. Check your clearance and then just go to the auto parts store and find a K&N with similar dimensions. Bring your old filter with you as a reference.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:58 PM
HCF Member

Thanks, guys. You might just happy to answer my queries because I'm not asking if a AEM SRI could be converted to a CAI for the nth time, but I appreciate it. Hopefully it all works out. I still have to get other parts for the CAI, like that rubber bolt, but it'll hopefully not go too expensive. Thanks again. You guys really make a guy feel at home.

Old 07-30-2005, 01:33 PM
HCF Member

support our sponsor! www.kandn.com

Old 07-30-2005, 04:07 PM
HCF Member

[sm=exactly.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AEM CAI Replacement Filter