Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

AEM SRI vs. K&N replacement Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Default AEM SRI vs. K&N replacement Filter?

First off, I'm looking to do an inexpensive air filter replacement. I've seen AEM SRI for my car ('98 LX) for under $100, and I know that most K&N filters are $35-50 or so...

My question is, do you all think it's worth it to so with a SRI? Are the HP or MPG gains noticeable in either case? I see a lot of duscussion in these forums on the full AEM CAI and V2, but not too much on the more economical SRI.

BTW, I know some people are going to suggest a CAI or to go with the AEM V2, but I am trying to be money-concious here

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Default RE: AEM SRI vs. K&N replacement Filter?

i am pondering the same question... to buy a 200$ one... or can you get away with a $25 ebay one...

Old 05-05-2005, 02:32 PM

are you talking about the difference between a short ram intake from AEM and just a replacement filter for your stock airbox from K&N? If so, then yeah, there is a difference between the two. You will prob not notice any performance gains on just a replacement filter. I know you want to not spend too much. However I think if it were my money, it would be better spent buying a cheap cold air intake and then buying a k&n filter for the CAI. I think you would notice a larger performance upgrade that way, and it'd be about the same price (just wouldnt be a name brand)

Old 05-05-2005, 02:45 PM

Don't know if this will help but my brother bought a cheap (under $100) SRI for his CRX and it whistled all day. It was pretty annoying. In my book you get what you pay for. Hopefully this doesn't turn into SRI vs. CAI.

Old 05-05-2005, 03:57 PM

I am definitely looking at the AEM Short Ram, not a "cheap" imitation. I guess I just meant "inexpensive." I have found the AEM SRI for under $100, and it seems like that's about the best price I'm gonna find. MSRP is about $155.

Blacksilver, did your brother get the AEM one, or an ebay-type imitation? Because I've read in a few different forums that the AEM one sounds pretty good, more of a growl than a whine.

Feedback?

Old 05-05-2005, 04:22 PM

No WW, he got a cheap ebay ripoff. $155 for AEM SRI sounds like a good price. I'm not sure what they sound like. Almost anything is better than stock, except for the annoying whistle my bro had under his hood. I went with Injen CAI and man it is sweet, worth every penny.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:25 PM

Sorry I wasn't trying to diss on SRI. They work great and AEM is one of the best. If you can get it for under $100, then go for it. Make sure it is a good seller/company to buy from. Don't want to get ripped off.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:38 PM

Well, I just bought the AEM Short Ram Intake from www.morepowerracing.com for $100 plus $6 shipping. I hope they are a good seller and won't rip me off, as you warned? Heard anything about them?

Old 05-05-2005, 05:17 PM

AND ANOTHER THING:

I understand that the most I could expect power-wise is like a 2HP gain, but what is the effect on gas mileage? Is there even a slight increase, as can be seen with a K&N OEM replacement?

Old 05-05-2005, 09:44 PM
HCF Member

if it doesnt rain too much by ya get a cold air intake......ull get better milage and stuff.....and it wont be as loud as a SRI

Quick Reply: AEM SRI vs. K&N replacement Filter?