Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

AHHH! bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Default AHHH! bolts

got my apexi ws2 today...looks gorgeous
was all set to install...and as im sure has happened to some of you, the bolts stuck something feirce
so i drenched in wd40...waited 5 minutes tried again, nope
went and got some pb blaster bolt remover, nothing
pulled out the compressor and the air socket wrench, still nothing
impact gun, nothing
got dark and now im just pissed

should i hack the bolts? or see if a muffler shop has any tricks and drive home cat-back'less?

Old 08-29-2006, 07:15 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: AHHH! bolts

which bolts are you referring to, the ones holding the stock cat-back to the cat? Those are infamous for being very stubborn. We had to just hack mine off with a cutting wheel. Some may disagree, but I suggest replacing all those stupid spring bolts with regular heavy duty bolts/nuts. I re-used my spring bolts the first summer I had my cat-back on, then the next summer I replaced all of them with regular nuts and bolts, and the sound of my exhaust was noticably better.

Just a suggestion..

Old 08-29-2006, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

Are you looking to get headers and high flow cat also? If so, just wait. You can drop the whole old exhaust without having to undo any bolts (except for a couple that may hold the header onto the frame). Then you're all set. Otherwise, hack those suckers off.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya just cut em off and replace em.

i had to do that on my old 86crx.... well not realy cut them they snaped in half when i was cranken on them.LOL

i got lucky when doing my 99EX header. bolts where rusted realy bad BUT came off easily enough.. BUT the guy also said the exaust was just redone.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:23 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Some may disagree, but I suggest replacing all those stupid spring bolts with regular heavy duty bolts/nuts.
Just a suggestion..
i to hate the spring bolts but they help to releve tension on the exh system when the engine moves. if you intend on doing away with the spring bolts be sure to have a flex pipe added into the system for the added insurance agains cracked headers, exh piping etc.....

Old 08-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: finalimpact

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Some may disagree, but I suggest replacing all those stupid spring bolts with regular heavy duty bolts/nuts.
Just a suggestion..
i to hate the spring bolts but they help to releve tension on the exh system when the engine moves. if you intend on doing away with the spring bolts be sure to have a flex pipe added into the system for the added insurance agains cracked headers, exh piping etc.....
I use those big long hangers that move pretty freely, but when I upgrade to my high-flow cat, I plan to put a flex pipe in as well. Good thinking

Old 08-29-2006, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

my last crx didnt have spring bolts or the flex pipe. my header cracked as well as the exh piping right after the weld behind the cat......it was gay

Old 08-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya you gotta have that spring bolts....

when i redid my 86crx pipe the flange was so rusted out i ended up droping the pipe off the manifold which snaped both bolts... droped the pipe and welded it up from the inside and then just used some new bolts BUT i still used the factory springs inbetween. seemed to work just fine! stoped leaking.
my only problem was from my clamped pipe that i used to go over the rear axle and conect to the good old fart cannon... the pipe kept bending and the buyer told me it just came loose one day.LMFAO
tho it was still hangen by the hanger so he just had to slap the pipe back on and crank down the bolts even more on the clamp.
ya ya .... i know fart cannon... i was new to these hondas and it was a old 86 crx so NOTHING SPECIAL.LOL i was gonna put a cheap @ss wing on it to..... JUST TO BE FUNNY of course, never did tho. but i did buy the used turd... i figure ill slap it on something realy stupid to be funny

Old 08-29-2006, 03:44 PM

dremel is ur friend

Old 08-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

a ya dont even need that... just snap them suckers! bust out the MANLY BREAK BAR and bust them suckers!
i dont use the impact gun for anything that rusted on anyways. just bust out the socket and the good old 2-3ft long break bar!

my four favorite tools...
4. break bar
3. adjustable wrench
2. vis grips
1. HAMMER EVERYONES POPULAR TOOL!

Quick Reply: AHHH! bolts