Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Another ticket, changing Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:59 PM
HCF Member
Default Another ticket, changing Exhaust

I'm gonna have to get rid of the magnaflow catback exhaust. I've recieved 5 tickets since April, 2007. It's gonna save me money to change it, my car is turbocharged so I need to make sure I don't restrict it. I'm thinking since I have a 2.5" downpipe, I'll put in a magnaflow hi-flow cat, and have the 2.25" piping from the cat-back all changed to 2.5" piping. I think this will be a good idea because I'm going to have my car in the machien shop and on the dyno soon, and I think 2.5" might flow better at higher PSI. I'm going to need a good muffler with a 2.5" inlet, and a smaller tip. My current tip is 4", I think even 3" will still be considered oversized because it needs to look closer to OEM. I'm looking for a 2.5" or 2.75" tip, but I want it to sound good with a deep tone and not like a loud fartcan.
Any suggestions?
I went on magnaflows website, they don't have too many options for mufflers. These are the only exhausts they sell with a 2.5" inlet that have a outlet smaller than 3".

They have these in 2.5" inlet and 2.5" outlet. They have it in 4" round body, 5", 6", or 7". What would be a good size to give a nice deep tone, is this possible to get with a 2.5" tip?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Another ticket, changing Exhaust

have you tried just using a silencer? Looks more stock and does quiet it down.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:07 PM

I recommend an Apex-i WS2 or GReddy SP2. They are both relatively quiet aftermarket exhausts. I have the WS2 and I love it. It's pretty quiet, and it isn't shaped like a fart can, so the looks won't attract the cops attention really. It has like a 4 inch tip, but it has an oval canister, and then the tip is a lot smaller than the canister and sticks out so the tip is about all you see.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Live_4it

have you tried just using a silencer? Looks more stock and does quiet it down.
I've never been pulled over because my muffler is loud, because it's actually pretty quiet. They told me that anything other than OEM is illegal, so I need to stay around 2.5" or 2.75. The 4" tip on the WS2 is way too big, they will ticket me for that just as easily as my magnaflow. The SP2 also has a big tip, will the muffler in the original post perform well enough with 2.5" inlet/outlet if I'm running over 10psi? Also how does the size of the body make a difference, is bigger louder and deeper? I don't really care if my exhaust is loud, it just needs to have a smaller tip.
Thanks guys

Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: bcrichguitars

I've never been pulled over because my muffler is loud, because it's actually pretty quiet. They told me that anything other than OEM is illegal.
take them to court if they give you a ticket. if you have an exhaust that's quiet enough, they can't do crap. if they write you a ticket for aftermarket exhaust, take them to court. it's not illegal.

EDIT: just noticed your from canada. i'm not sure if it's illegal or not, and i don't know how your court system works. lol. my best advice is to check your local laws, and if they're wrong and it is legal, take them to court if that's what you guys do in canada.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

i didnt know you can get a ticket for aftermarket products. Although once my friend got pulled over and the cop started to pointing everything in the engine to be illegal and then let him off with a warning. weird[&:]

Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 PM

ORIGINAL: civic_burns_all

i didnt know you can get a ticket for aftermarket products. Although once my friend got pulled over and the cop started to pointing everything in the engine to be illegal and then let him off with a warning. weird[&:]
Yea, my mom was telling me that i'm not supposed to tamper with my exhaust and that it's illegal. So we argued and then her fiance agreed with her so i told him to call his friend who's a cop. Well the cop also said it was illegal. I went home, looked it up, printed the info out, and brought it to my mom. She was pissed to find out she was wrong.

I hate it though when people who don't know the law try to argue with you about it. Sad thing is, the cop was wrong too. Shouldn't the person enforcing the law know the law?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 PM
HCF Member

It is deffinetely illegal here in Alberta, the law says "Modified or widened outlet". They are giving everyone tickets, i've recieved 5 since April last year. I emailed Magnaflow to get advice on choosing a new muffler. IF anyone can help me out let me know, thanks.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

On magnaflows website the muffler i'm looking at says Resonator. Can this still be used as a muffler and will it sound good? Anyone know if a Borla turbo muffler would sound good on a civic?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:20 PM

no, don't use the resonator as a muffler. However, getting the resonator welded into the middle section of the exhaust will definitely quiet your exhaust down a little bit if that's what you're looking for.

Quick Reply: Another ticket, changing Exhaust