Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Best IHE Combination

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 03:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Best IHE Combination

no. you asked for the BEST combination.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: luisynayan

Ok, I know this has probably been covered about a bajillion times... But I was wondering, what is the best combo in terms of I/H/E. Please don't be afaid to mention brands and such. Currently, my car is running with stock intake system, custom 4-2-1 Headers (sorta like ebays) and a Tanabe Tuner Medalion exhaust...
you won't see much of a difference between different i/h/e combos. if you buy the most expensive brand name ones, you'll probably get better fitment, but if you're lucky, you could get the exact same results with stuff off of ebay

Old 11-23-2006, 08:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: drbyers

Anything with the widest piping...
not true. you want as little backpressure as possible but you also want air velocity.

heres how caleb explained it when i first joined the site. take three things, a coffee straw, a big mcdonalds straw, and a paper towel roll. blow all the air you can through all three and see how long you can keep the pressure up. its easiest to do through the mcdonalds straw isnt it? the coffee straw is like your stock exhaust...its narrow and constricting. the paper towel roll is like too big of an exhaust, sure its easy to blow through, but you cant sustain it and overall its harder. the mcdonalds straw is like the proper size exhaust. free-flowing but able to keep velocity of the air.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:28 PM
HCF Member

the OEM cat makes sure nothing is free flowing...

Old 11-24-2006, 01:25 AM
HCF Member

if you gut it it does

Old 11-24-2006, 01:59 AM
HCF Member

yeah with backrpessure u need to find a balance between no restriction and a little bit of backpressure. Read Sac's sticky at the top of the IHE topic to read more. Greddy Evo 2, AEM V2, and DC Sporst 4-2-1. Althoguh yeah, basically any DC/Injen/Skunk/Megan/Magnaflow/AEM combination will be about the same. GL

EDIT: Can't forget the Magnaflow High-Flow Cat

Old 11-24-2006, 02:49 AM
HCF Member

or jus make your own custom exhaust. Thats what i did. Have my own cust 2.5' exhaust and it cost me less than megan/skunk or whoever and i'm getting the same results as them and if not then better. Go custom on the exhaust, saves money and performance is still there

Old 11-24-2006, 07:03 AM

I already have a Tanabe exhaust... Is there anyway I can build it up from there?

Old 11-24-2006, 10:42 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: luisynayan

Is there anyway I can build it up from there?

Cold Air Intake, DC Sporst 4-2-1 Header, Magnaflow High-Flow Cat, but thats about it for building up your I/H/E

I guess you get an artermarket intake manifold and throttle body to help with the intake too.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:06 AM
HCF Member

just curious but how would an aftermarket throttle body benefit?

Quick Reply: Best IHE Combination