Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Beyond I/H/E

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:18 PM
HCF Member
Default Beyond I/H/E

I did a search but couldn't find much, mostly because everyone just said suspension was the next step...

But suppose we narrowed it down to just power upgrades, what would be the next step? From what I've read, it should be a throttle body and intake manifold.

I've read a lot about the Skunk2 manifold. Do they require much porting to work perfectly or are they pretty well shaped out of the box? Is there enough room for improvement that one could just port a stock manifold and have it flow like a skunk2?

Fuel mileage is not negatively effected by these mods, right?

And from what I've been told, I/H/E should give you about 30hp depending on the combo, so that should set you at 130hp... how much would the skunk2 and TB boost you on top of that?

And from there it appears that valvetrain mods are next after that...

Old 06-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Default RE: Beyond I/H/E

^ the manifold and TB are good for most of the D series engines, but for the D17; if I could go back and do it over, I'd spend the money on flat head pistons/rods, SAFC, and start saving for head work; then lastly do the manifold swap (only bc it has been such a PITA); to be honest I really don't know what kinda increase I'm gonna get w/ the manifold, hoping to find out monday. But yeah that's what I would have done could I go back and do it over.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

no way is IHE going to net you 30 hp at the wheels. 15 is being optomistic. 12 is more realistic.

after IHE..if you wanna stick the N/A route id go with IM/TB/Cam.

ask pete about his experience with s2 manifolds.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:58 PM
HCF Member

Well i only experiences probs because i didnt use an OEM intake mani gasket.......I used the hondata....an oem gasket would eliminate the prob, but the hondata keeps intake temps cooler.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:41 AM
HCF Member

How difficult is a cam swap on these motors? I've changed pushrod cams before, but never one on a SOHC.