Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

brand name intake worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Default brand name intake worth it?

I already have a cold air intake on my 98 civic, but it's no big name brand. Is it worth the money to get a better name brand intake like AEM or Injen? will it help any more?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Default RE: brand name intake worth it?

this is largely a matter of opinion. Ive had a 30 dollar ebay model on my car for 4 years now and even use the ****ty filters. No issues here. Some folks swear by the v2 and better intakes tho.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

no the are all basicly just a metal pipe with a filter. The only good ones out there that you "might" find like 1-3hp increase with is like aem,injen, or k&n

Old 03-01-2007, 01:56 PM

ok, yea i was thinking about a better intake, but not if i wont notice a difference. I'm sure with v2 i would though.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 PM
HCF Member

it's all about quality, C.A.R.B. compliant, and the filter, some of the big name brands have warranties, and come with high quality filters, plus you are assured a much better fit over some other no name intakes out there, i've got an aem intake piece, and i don't regret getting it over some cheapo at all.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:49 PM
HCF Member

i will say this, i bought the long through the fender cold air kit for my 97 civic, and the hardest part to putting it is was getting the old plastic crap outta the way... the AEM kit that i bought lined up with the mounts perfectly, was bent just right, the filter was ok, but i have since upgraded that to a K&N, and sounds really nice on my naturally asperated engine... i definately dont regret the extra $$ i spent getting the name brand...

Old 03-03-2007, 04:08 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Brand names are guaranteed to fit what they say will fit. Some of the other no name brands don't perfectly fit all the models they are intended for. As always, you get what you paid for. I believe AEM actually designs and tests the intakes for performance. Some no name brands just make pipe that fits and says it increases performance.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:37 AM
HCF Member

Love my V2, not sure if you want to spend that much though, it was worth it to me cuz i don't have an exhaust and they sound SWEET. Definately very noticable gains.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:24 AM
HCF Member

v2 is the only one that makes a difference. that or the comptech icebox. Othe than that the metal pipes are all the same, but the filtters make a BIG differnce

sorry for mispelling i'm ddurnhk

Old 03-04-2007, 02:53 AM
HCF Member

Brand name = research and development.

But really, the basic intakes are just a pipe with a filter on the end. I wouldn't recommend using a cheap filter though. It will hurt your car in the long run. Go with an AEM for K&N filter if you buy a cheapo ebay intake.

Also... a lot of people don't know this, but if your filter doesn't say "oil free" on it, you NEED to oil it or it's not goin to do anything. I had a writeup on it when I was new but nobody appriciated it.

Quick Reply: brand name intake worth it?