Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Breather for CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:41 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Breather for CAI?

I think thats what they're saying... I tried using the search on this but it only brings me back to this one...

Old 10-05-2006, 01:46 AM

Ya but what is the PURPOSE!? lol my mind is boggled I will not be able to sleep till I know the purpose!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

The only reason I used a breather on the V/C was because my CAI didn't have a port for that hose. You have two choices, run the hose from the V/C to the Intake, or plug the port on the intake and slap a breather on the V/C. All the breather does is filter the **** that excretes from the V/C

Old 10-05-2006, 12:47 PM

Oh ty forty I have seen that before where some intakes don't have the hole that connects the CAI to the engine only the hole for the sensor. TY for clearing that up I didn't know that.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

I still don't completly understand, I mean I know what you guys are doing but is there any gain at all from using a breather over using the hose?

Old 10-10-2006, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

Ok, here's the scoop:

In the stock setup, that hose goes from the valve cover to the intake pipe. The vacuum from the intake pipe draws the vapors from the valve cover, thus recirculating hot, sticky air back into your intake.

But in the suggested mod, you are removing that hose and putting an itty-bitty cone filter on that hose instead of hooking it into your intake. Look at the little filter in 40's picture, that's a breather.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

yea I know what it is and what to do I just wana know if it is acualy benificial insted of using a hose

Old 10-10-2006, 08:49 PM
HCF Member

If you mean beneficial over it going to the intake, or beneficial in using the breather filter instead of just a piece of hose?

It vents hot, oily air into the intake (which is why you want it disconnected from the intake)... and that same hot oily air would be venting right there next to the valve cover and might make a mess... so you use the little filter. Plus the breather filter stops foreign objects from entering the valve cover.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

so it would be better to put that breather on right casue that way that crappy air isn't being circulated back into the intake right?

Old 10-10-2006, 11:40 PM

Sounds good I think I'll do this. Where can I buy these breather cones? You guys are making this harder to understand then it is. I think redridin nailed it. No dirty crappy air getting recirculated back into the intake + it filters our little debris etc...

Quick Reply: Breather for CAI?