Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Bypass necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Default Bypass necessary?

I'm goin with a cold air and am wondering, what is the likelyhood that my engine will go into hydro-lock if i don't put on a bypass?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Default RE: Bypass necessary?

i know a couple ppl that its happened to before but it is pretty uncommon. if ur gena put a bypass valve in ur intake, i figure might as well just get a short ram since the bypass will prolly rob some power. cheaper for the same amount of power(give or take 1-2hp...)

Old 04-26-2006, 09:34 PM
HCF Member

Unless you plan on driving your civic through a lake or through puddles of water deeper than 1 ft skip the bypass valve. It will only hydrolock if it gets completely submerged.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:39 PM

Injen cold Air Intakes say right on them to not use in the rain! They are also two piece so you can take off the bottom half if it rains.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:57 PM

yea thats what i was thinkin. how much will the bypass restrict the flow? My purose for this is to get a little more power. i know short rams give u a little better response time but not as much power. how much of a difference would you say their is?

Old 04-26-2006, 10:05 PM

an external valve wont restrict it will it?

Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

as long as you're not driving through lake supirior, your chances are slim to none. seriously you have to drive through 2 foot deep puddles to hydrolock your car. and a bypass valve basically turns your CAI into a $200 short ram intake that doesnt filter.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:45 PM
HCF Member

I'm pretty sure Injen has that on their intake packages because of lawsuit crap. Honestly, your chances of hyrdolocking your car in rain is about 1 out of 100,000. If you are driving through tons of rain and water all the time and large puddles, then yes go for it, but unless you live somewhere it rains atleast 15 out of the 30 days in the month don't get the bypass valve. Generally speaking the air bypass valve will lose you about 3-4 hp usually from what i have heard, which puts you about where a SRI is, so if you are gonna get a bypass valve you might as well save about $100 and just get a SRI instead.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:58 PM
HCF Member

seriously enough...if you're going to be driving through the ocean then get a SRI...but as long as the puddles you drive through are less than a foot and a half deep...get teh CAI.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:50 AM

The bypass valve does NOT rob any hp.

The easiest way to explain it is to look at it like a broken straw. If you suck on a broken straw out in the open, you will get nothing but air coming up through it. Now put this broken straw in a cup of water and suck on it. The water will not come up because of the crack in the side of the straw. The bypass valve does not block any air flow under normal conditions. Once the tip of the CAI goes under water it simple suck air through the foam sides of the valve. At that point Yes you will lose HP. Drive out of the puddle and your HP returns.

Quick Reply: Bypass necessary?