HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   CAI (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/cai-36161/)

ltkenbo 01-17-2007 07:35 PM

RE: CAI

So really what is the whole difference between the AEM v2 and the AEM CAI? They are both cold air types right? Which would be more protected from water?

blackmetal619 01-17-2007 10:31 PM

depending on the make/model/year of your car, all V2's are different...some V2's are not quite a SRI and not quite a CAI its almost its own thing....
some of them relocate the air filter eventhough it doesnt leave the engine compartment, making it almost both a SRI and CAI, because its longer than a SRI but its still under the hood...AEM says that installing a bypass valve on a V2 will detune the system if it will even fit, which it most likely wont. but enough rambling to answer your question about which is more protected of water, the V2 is more protected, but the original CAI has a bypass valve...so it evens out...I would say go with the V2 if your considering buying either of the 2

ltkenbo 01-18-2007 06:34 PM

Ok, that's probably what I was gonna do, also in the stickies section for this forum it mentioned the v2 was one of the best noticable gains over all the intakes listed. The reason I was worrying about the water is I don't wanna pay almost $300 for something that is possible gonna cost me a lot more in damages if it ends of damaging my engine.

Does this one look goood (says it's a v2): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-V...ayphotohosting

blackmetal619 01-18-2007 06:52 PM

yea that price is straight up...you wont find it much cheaper...i searched ebay forever and got mine for $267 shipped....the company i bought mine off of probly has more if oyu want to save like $10...i have a manual 99 ex coupe

ltkenbo 01-18-2007 07:03 PM

I wish I had the coupe, think it would look nicer, but I'm still doing some stuff to make it look/sound/perform more sport-like. I've got another question. Me and my friend installed an intake on his toyota and after we were done the check engine light came on. Is this going to happen with mine? If so can you turn it off somehow or will the engine get used to the change after a while? Also doesn't the engine computer adjust fuel flow after a while to compensate for the greater airflow?

What was that company you bought your intake from?

blackmetal619 01-18-2007 07:11 PM

hmmm...my check engine light never came on, im not sure if the engine will adapt to it or not, has it driven funny at all afterwards? it shouldnt happen to yours..is it an older toyota? the company is "jazzsidd" thats the guys name

ltkenbo 01-18-2007 08:12 PM

His is a 2004 solara. It also might have been because we couldn't figure out how to reconnect these tubes that had another sensor on them. What are those small little tubes that connect to the factory intake and to each other? Really tiny tubes.

blackmetal619 01-18-2007 10:33 PM

there should be 3...that is most definately the problem....there is the Intake Air Temp Sensor, the cam cover breather, and the air recirculation tube...you have to take the harness off the stock tube and plug it into the new intake...it confused me at first because i had a sensor that clipped on, but it was just a hole, then i realized i needed to take it off the stock tube

ltkenbo 01-18-2007 10:46 PM

Well we took off one of the stock sensors (the one that goes in that hole) but there was another one that had like 2 hoses to it, and they sent a new 3 way connector but it wouldn't fit those tubes and there were still 2 tubes coming from under the plastic thing that covers the valve cover (like 3mm tubes) that originally went to the factory intake box but there was no more ports on the new intake to plug into. So what exactly do these tubes like the cam cover breather do?