Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

CARB Specifications for Air Intake Length

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM
HCF Member
Default CARB Specifications for Air Intake Length

Hi Guys,
I had to modify my AEM intake today because the Air filter, which sits inside the old location of the resonator box (inside the passenger fender), is getting immersed in water during the rainy season here in Los Angeles. The drainage here is horrible, corners turn into lakes and streets into rivers etc... My solution to keep water out of my intake was to chop the pipe off so that the filter rests comfortably inside the engine compartment. But this might have violated the CARB emission standards for how long my intake is suppose to be...

I tried browsing the web and CARB's website to see what the legal length for intakes is suppose to be to pass SMOG, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know what the CARB specs are? Or where I can find them? Right now the tube length is 22 inches. I did not alter the maf sensor location or plenum.

Jim

Old 01-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Default RE: CARB Specifications for Air Intake Length

The easy way to keep you're AEM intake from getting water inside you're engine would be to buy the water/air bypass valve from AEM for like 60$

Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

Sure but that doesn't solve the problem of the filter getting immersed in water. Performance air filters arn't cheap to replace. Does anyone know the required length for an intake to pass smog?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

here's your soultion: you have a cai. take off the second tube of the cai, and attach your filter to the first tube--you now have a "short ram intake." when emission testing comes, put the second tube back on. i've never heard of length for the CARB stuff... as long as it has a sticker, it's good to go.

also, if you submerge your filter into the water, it's not gonna ignite/blow up/crumble to dust/explode... it'll get wet--that's it. once it dries out, it'll be good to go. additionally, you know you can wash filters right? they're not made of paper.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

Well the idea was to keep my car smog legal, and as for washing the filter unfortunitly metal rusts when it gets wet, even if dried properly after the wash, I would also have to dry it after driving in the rain. Not to mention washing the filter in road water every time it rains is bad for the filter too. The AEM intake is all one piece there is no second tube, well now there is since I chopped it. It "was" a pain to take on and off. I was thinking I could get a rubber connector and reconnect the second piece back on when I have to get it smogged.

I am still interested if there is an answer to my orginal question about the legal length of the intake. But your right, common sense always prevails.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 PM
HCF Member

I'll measure mine tomorrow Bro..I also have an AEM short ram intake..It might be similar to my length but who Knows since I have a DOHC but it will be close..I think.I live in Riverside..
Here is a pix of my engine bay..that's an old pix because 3 weeks ago I just installed my headers

Old 01-26-2008, 01:41 AM
HCF Member

Cool man thanks for doing that. Here is what mine looks like after I chopped it. Not quite so pretty to look at though If yours passes smog I think mine should to.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:58 AM
HCF Member

get a new filter asap. dryflow is what you want.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:51 AM
HCF Member

I just googled them, I didn't know they existed. Thanks man I will order one today.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:29 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: EJ8_Man

Cool man thanks for doing that. Here is what mine looks like after I chopped it. Not quite so pretty to look at though If yours passes smog I think mine should to.
Mine passes smog because it has the CARB sticker on it. If the sticker is gone pretty much it makes it ilegal....I purchase me another AEM dry flow filter on ebay almost brand new for 19.00 with delivery..I say look at e-bay. The dry flow filter are also cleanable they sell kit to clean them..I'll take a measurement in a while....Ok

Quick Reply: CARB Specifications for Air Intake Length