Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Catback and slammed hatch

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:19 AM
March 2010 ROTM
Default Catback and slammed hatch

Are there any catbacks that are designed to do a little better with a slammed car? My hatch is really low and is in a very bad need of a new exhaust. Im just worried about it scraping or getting ripped off since this is my first car lowered. Ive been looking at the WS2 and the Megan Drift Spec since it was on my last car and I liked it. But I didnt know if there were any designed for this kind of application.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:22 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Catback and slammed hatch

you could do custom piping withsomething like the dynomax muffler, they have a kinda OEM look (meaning there not a huge fart can) that way the muffler woud notscrape, i have a sedan lowerd 2.5 inches, and my exhaust right in the middle of the car hits speed bumps if im not super careful.

there is a dynomax muffler http://www.performancemarket.com/ima...nd/dynomax.jpg

Old 02-21-2008, 07:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well your exaust doesnt look to low......

IF I HAD TO GUESS... id say the exaust is leaking right around the muffler at those few bolt clamps...... quick way to find out since its preaty cold out it should make it easy to find the leak when the car is cold and its cold outside just start up the car and look under the car and look for a cloud leak from the pipes. id say its leaking around the muffler clamps.
the guy who instaled the fart can on my 94coupe did a horible job and those clamps suck @ss. just take it to a exaust shop and have them weld those joints up and be done with it preaty cheap..... unless you dont like that sound from that muffler....

but if you want to have a higher ground clearance then ya might have to look into modifying the rear bumper..... basicaly measure how much higher the muffler can go without hitting the floor, ya want at least 1inch gap from the muffler case to the floorboard at least.... and then bust out the knife and neatly cut the muffler cutout higher up... might take alittle creativeness but it will give ya more ground clearance
or ya could just do a OEM muffler since they dont hang down as low as most aftermarket can style mufflers

Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM
March 2010 ROTM

The exhaust is rusted all the way up to the front. There is a leak right up by the shifter and then back at those clamps. So im just going to buy it all while Im getting my tax returns back. I guess Ill just decide between those two and hope for the best. I plan on putting 16s or 17s on it anyway down the road a little. I dont care for those wheels a lot.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

Apexi WS2 has a pretty small tip. on it. Or could get custom catback w/ a nice muffler. A Twin-loop has a small tip but a HUGE can before it, so that might be questionable.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

yeah i have custom piping to an oem muffler,silent so no cops bother me, and my car is dropped 2.5 easily. i scrap a lot of things in the center were i added a 18 inch resonator after the stock cat. the resonator is the one getting all scratched up. so get the oem muffler if you like for it to be quiet.i also heard some good things about the thrush turbo muffler that looks oem but gives a very deep tone.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well with a hatchback the muffler choices are already preaty limited due to the shorter rear bumper, so its gonna be preaty tight.....

Old 02-21-2008, 04:23 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Around how much is it to get custom piping at a shop? Im thinking it might be best to just get a nice muffler and have it welded to the custom bent pipes...but have no clue what to expect to pay.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Super Cereal Admin

It's usually somewhere around $150-$200 for a full cat-back. Just remember to get a nice big resonator so your new exhaust doesn't sound raspy.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:22 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Will most shops have resonators there to include in or will I have to buy one seperate from somewhere?

Quick Reply: Catback and slammed hatch