Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Which Cheapo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Which Cheapo?

my opinion there all polished tubes it cant make that big of a difference..
one of my friends show me vid of two guys doing dynos of a ebay one and a K&N and the cheap ebay one was as good as the K&N so for an extra 200$ u get to have one that says K&N

Old 02-02-2007, 11:48 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicblend97

my opinion there all polished tubes it cant make that big of a difference..
one of my friends show me vid of two guys doing dynos of a ebay one and a K&N and the cheap ebay one was as good as the K&N so for an extra 200$ u get to have one that says K&N
can i see these videos? i find it hard to believe somebody's willing to spend the time (and maybe money if its not a friends shop) to dyno a single part, especially if its a EBAY intake...

Old 02-03-2007, 01:15 AM
HCF Member

im sure it was a friends shop cause no one is going to spend the money to do it.. dont ask for the vid cause i cant show u.. its a damn tube it aint special because its got a big name on it.. only thing ur paying extra for is the name

Old 02-03-2007, 08:55 AM
HCF Member

^^^you've got some stuff mixed up cuz your friend has brainwashed you. Haha but seriously, whether it's worth it to you or not, they do have differences. Brand names spend money on research and development which makes for more power, better fitment of parts, and less hassle installing. I'm not gonna say it's a monstrous difference, but it's there. I guarantee my V2 adds more horsepower than any of those ebay cheapo ones (excluding brand names sold on ebay). Either way, it's an intake, but realize that there are differences. For me it was worth it to pick up a V2 just cuz i've never heard another intake sound anything like it.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:04 AM
HCF Member

I'm sure the v2 is better but for the price difference of over $200 for a v2 to a $20 for an ebay one. The ebay one is my pick.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:44 PM
HCF Member

its like this. Big name brand companys spend lots of money researching stuff to say and have PROOF that their product increase horsepower and what not. So you spend the extra money just knowing hey my sh*t has increase performance, but i hate when people say cheapo intakes or other stuff isn't as good as the expensive guy. Think of it like this: If a company spends lots and lots of money researching which material increase performance more, which size increase performance, and what shape increase performance and they find out that a certain material, size, and shape has a super increase of performance than thats all great news, but that doesn't mean a no name company can't take what the other compnay researched and use the same formula, just copy their material, size, and shape. So they come up with something thats almost exactly like the expensive guy but much cheaper because they didn't go through the hassle of research. So yes a cheapo intake is just as good at the expensive guy, maybe the aem gets an extra 1-2 hp more than my cheapo ebay short ram but hell would i want to spend an extra 250 for that extra 1-2 horsepower???? HELL NO. So thats why you can get cheapo intakes and have almost same performance, and these are words from a guy who owns a cheapo ebay intake and yes mid-range hp increased. All i need to do know is get an aem dryflow filter but the tubing is just tubing. So why spend and extra 250 i just don't get it. lol

Old 02-04-2007, 02:39 PM
HCF Member

ha well all of this debating is fine and dandy, however if u read my first post i asked for this not to happen....a.k.a "dont tell me to save up and get an expensive one" lol but its all good......i kno everything every1 is talking about i just want to kno OUT OF THE 2, WHICH ONE WOULD YOU PICK? lol that is all

Old 02-04-2007, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

i would pick the short ram.. and like mobsta said u would pay the 200$ for mabey 1 more hp thats not worth it over the 20$ for almost the same thing.. u could take that 180$ difference and put it toward a good exhaust

Old 02-05-2007, 12:09 AM

Okay I'll give you my opinion only because I've had three different intakes on my car and so I've got a bit of history.

First intake [maybe $15] was actually for an ex and didn't fit worth crap. Second intake [$25] was a two piece cold air off ebay and while it did it's job it lacked the welded on bracket to keep it from moving around, the tubing wasn't a full 90 bend off the tb and the breather port sat right agenst my sturt brace (along with the rest of the intake). And my third unit is currently a Simota two piece [$90](currently only using the one tube), it has the welded bracket to mount to the body, the tube is bent at a better angle so not only does the breather port sit under the strut brace but the tube also clears the strut brace as well as the couplers included are of a higher quality.

Now with this said would I pick A or B? well B shows a 45 pipe that would fit an EX better than your DX so I'd have to say A (and run it as a short ram).

Old 02-05-2007, 12:14 AM
HCF Member

i was reading a tuner mag upgrade project tonight.

the car was a nissan 240 sx with a filthy K&N filter. they swapped in a new one and it gained 2.5 whp alone with a clean K&N filter, according to the mustang dyno.

the editors said the hp gain would have been even greater over the stock paper element intake filter.

there's your dyno proof.

Quick Reply: Which Cheapo?